Is this petrified wood? (Lulworth)

KingSepron

I think, overall, they look more like some kind of fibrous mineral. To male a confident petrified wood ID would require an extreme magnification of the end-on view.

• I found this Informative 3

18 minutes ago, Brach3 said:

It looks like "Stylolites sulcatus" (Geology)

It just couldn't take the pressure. :)

What a coincidence. I also found almost exact piece of rock from Trinity River in Dallas.   Are they related? 

Fossil Wood..JPG

Fossil Wood2.JPG

Fossil Wood3.JPG

Also, this is a Texas petrified wood from Yequa fossil formation that was for sale at an online auction site.   Looks very similar to rocks shown here. 

image.png.6707ff5d468d01fd686082727fe07296.png

Fossil wood representing the tribe Engelhardieae of the Juglandaceae is reported for the first time. The genus Engelhardioxylon is created to accommodate fossil woods with anatomy like that of modern genera in the Engelhardieae. Two middle Eocene species of Engelhardioxylon are described, one from eastern Oregon (E. nutbedensis) and one from southeastern Texas (E. texana). The anatomy of these fossils is indistinguishable from that of the modern genera of the Engelhardieae, i.e., Engelhardia, Oreomunnea, and Alfaroa. The uniformity in wood anatomy between these fossils and the extant genera of the Engelhardieae suggests that a common pattern of anatomy, established during or prior to the Eocene, has been retained despite the morphological differentiation of fruits and foliage.

On 1/9/2020 at 11:24 AM, Brach3 said:

It looks like "Stylolites sulcatus" (Geology)

Stylolites was my first thought as well, but it may be because I was almost fooled by some myself recently... :unsure:

On 1/9/2020 at 9:21 AM, Carl said:

I think, overall, they look more like some kind of fibrous mineral. To male a confident petrified wood ID would require an extreme magnification of the end-on view.

Agreed.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)