syringopora or organ pipe coral

Rosemary

I had thought syringopora and organ pipe coral were synonymous. However, I just read otherwise. How do I tell the difference? See attached photo of a fossil that's about 1 in./2.5 cm. I presumed it to be organ pipe coral. Is it? Thx!

FossilIDJan132020.jpg

"Organ pipe coral" is a colloquial term that I've seen applied to a variety of corals with tubular morphologies, including SyringoporaSyringopora is genus. I can't tell whether or not that is Syringopora but locality information would be useful to someone who can

I'm not so sure about this, since I'm no expert on corals, but I believe that the organ pipe coral (Tubipora musica) is a recent coral and syringopora can be found as a fossil. At any rate, it's a different genus.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

I'm definitely no expert, but I'm pretty sure, it would be helpful if you could take some pictures showing all  sides of your fossil. And be sure to show as much detail of the corallites as you can. 

I am indeed having trouble differentiating bryozoans from coral. Here are a few macro shots. I'm so grateful for the help. Thanks to everyone.

IDJan13a.jpg

IDJan13b.jpg

IDJan13c.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Looks like a syringoporid to me. 

I've heard them called organ pipe corals too, I suppose due to certain similarities in morphology with the modern and unrelated Tubipora. 

Convergent evolution, I guess. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Looks like a syringorid to me

You mean syringoporoid?

2 minutes ago, Pippa said:

You mean syringoporoid?

I mean a member of the family Syringoporidae. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

I have not heard Syringopora referred to as "organ pipe coral".  I think using "organ pipe coral" for any coral with a phaceloid growth form (corallites round in cross section and not in contact with each other over their length) makes the term so vague as to be meaningless.  Why not just call them phaceloid corals?  Phaceloid is a descriptive term and so could be validly used.  Organ pipe coral is a "common name" for a particular modern (and I assume not very old fossil) coral and it should only be used on that context.  Syringopora is a tabulate coral, so it belongs to a different order than the modern coral which is a scleractinian.  Calling two such different organisms the same name is like calling dogs horses because both are mammals with four legs.

Don

• I found this Informative 4

18 minutes ago, Pippa said:

You mean syringoporoid?

Sorry, i should have said Syringoporid, but clearly had tipsy fingers. Corrected. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

I would not call them organ pipe corals, any more than I would call my horses dogs or my dogs horses.  They are in all probability syringoporid corals. 

Don

Thank you. I saw somewhere online the phrase "but not real organ pipe coral" which led me to the realization that it was a convenient description and not a scientific moniker. Thx for your feedback.

1 hour ago, FossilDAWG said:

I have not heard Syringopora referred to as "organ pipe coral".  I think using "organ pipe coral" for any coral with a phaceloid growth form (corallites round in cross section and not in contact with each other over their length) makes the term so vague as to be meaningless.  Why not just call them phaceloid corals?  Phaceloid is a descriptive term and so could be validly used.  Organ pipe coral is a "common name" for a particular modern (and I assume not very old fossil) coral and it should only be used on that context.  Syringopora is a tabulate coral, so it belongs to a different order than the modern coral which is a scleractinian.  Calling two such different organisms the same name is like calling dogs horses because both are mammals with four legs.

Don

or call them tetrapods...

12 hours ago, Rosemary said:

See attached photo of a fossil that's about 1 in./2.5 cm. 

One inch tall 2.5 centimeters wide ?

Not 1 centimeter wide 2.5 centimeters tall ?

Isn't 2.5 centimeters really close to one inch ?

And why are they shaped like bryozoans instead of syringoporoids ?

:headscratch:

3 hours ago, Rosemary said:

I shouldn't have used the slash. It's an inch in length, or 2.5 centimeters. 

That doesn't make it much more than a cm wider then. I still say it looks more like a bryozoan.

This one is roughly the same size. Bryo or coral? What do you think?

(Everything is from Kosciusko Co, northcentral IN)

FossilIDJan14.jpg