Horse teeth

albertomimo

I purchase a horse tooth, supposedly form Dakota White River Formation Include 4 pictures. ID as Mesohippus S. Dakota Oligocene. These horses use to be 60 cm tall but my tooth is 48 mm long. In my opinion too big tooth for such a small horse. Is this possible?

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2642.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

It is not mesohippus.  it is not even horse.  It is some sort of bovine lower premolar.  Might be Bison.

These are mesohippus teeth.

mesohippusteeth.JPG.45eb029ce2e135fc561f87e6f635aace.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Horse teeth
On 1/15/2020 at 5:24 PM, albertomimo said:

In my opinion too big tooth for such a small horse.

At least twice as big as it should be, and bovid as the others mentioned. It's a really good idea to post photos of items you are considering to purchase in this thread to verify identification and get members' opinions of the item in general. There's a lot of misidentification and even intentional fraud out there. The members here can advise you if they see anything you should know before you buy.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Yeah, a Mesohippus tooth is smaller and low crowned relative to its overall size.  The figure Shellseeker has posted shows rows of upper teeth.  The lower teeth might have a crown height of 8-10mm and the upper teeth might average into that range or perhaps slightly shorter.

• 1 month later...