FossilNerd

Manual Preparation: A Novice Guide

Fossildude19

Wayne, 

This is a great topic!

I've pinned it so that newbies should be able to find it more easily. 

Well done, sir!

Arlie

Very good, I found it informative we’re I’m thinking about trying it on some of the old fossils I found from when I was little. Thank you!

Ludwigia

Well done Wayne!

Pagurus

Thank you for this, Wayne!

Well-done-32.gif.77e35ed5d360d97f81bee6395c1de7c0.gif

FossilNerd
1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Wayne, 

This is a great topic!

Well done, sir!

Pinned?! Awesome! Hopefully it is informative enough to have other newbies take the leap. :thumbsu:

FossilNerd
1 hour ago, Arlie said:

Very good, I found it informative we’re I’m thinking about trying it on some of the old fossils I found from when I was little. Thank you!

I’m glad you found it informative! Good luck on your prep should you decide to attempt it! 

FossilNerd
56 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Well done Wayne!

Thanks! I hope it helps others. :) 

36 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Thank you for this, Wayne!

You are welcome! :) 

FossilNerd
16 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

An excellent exposition on low tech prep. One additional safety caution occurs to me - Don't wreck your hands! The repetitive movements encountered in using hand tools for prep can quickly lead to hand strain. This hazard can range from mild stiffness to serious strain that impacts function. The excitement of prep progress can cause a prepper to be distracted from early discomfort. The remedy is simple, be mindful of hand stress and take frequent breaks.

Very good point Snolly! I often took breaks to give my hands, back, and eyes a rest. 

JamieLynn

Fantastic! Thank you!! I've been hestitant to really do any kind of prep aside from some hammer and chisel.....this is actually making me want to try my hand at some detail work!  Thank you!!

FossilNerd
48 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

Fantastic! Thank you!! I've been hestitant to really do any kind of prep aside from some hammer and chisel.....this is actually making me want to try my hand at some detail work!  Thank you!!

You are most welcome! I think a lot of people feel as you do. I’m glad I could give you a little encouragement. :) 

Randyw

Great posting! Easy to read, easy to understand, excellent job! :default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2:

grandpa

Wonderful composition - and you've been pinned too.  :P  Congratulations.:yay-smiley-1:

Tom

Malcolmt

Nicely done...

jpc
6 hours ago, snolly50 said:

An excellent exposition on low tech prep. One additional safety caution occurs to me - Don't wreck your hands! The repetitive movements encountered in using hand tools for prep can quickly lead to hand strain. This hazard can range from mild stiffness to serious strain that impacts function. The excitement of prep progress can cause a prepper to be distracted from early discomfort. The remedy is simple, be mindful of hand stress and take frequent breaks.

I also have hand exercisers on hand to use during breaktime.  I don't know if they are keeping injury at bay, but so far so good.

FossilNerd
1 hour ago, Randyw said:

Great posting! Easy to read, easy to understand, excellent job! :default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2::default_clap2:

Thanks Randy! That’s what I was going for. :) 

1 hour ago, grandpa said:

Wonderful composition - and you've been pinned too.  :P  Congratulations.:yay-smiley-1:

Tom

Thanks Tom! I’m hoping it’s helpful to others thinking about trying to prep. The pinning is icing on the cake.  :D

26 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Nicely done...

Thanks!

grandpa
1 minute ago, FossilNerd said:

I’m hoping it’s helpful to others thinking about trying to prep. The pinning is icing on the cake.

Now see what happens when you get sent to your room till you learn your lesson!  :D

FossilNerd
1 hour ago, grandpa said:

Now see what happens when you get sent to your room till you learn your lesson!  :D

:heartylaugh:

It looks like I actually learned a little something this time...

Bonehunter
On 1/20/2020 at 12:06 PM, Fossildude19 said:

Wayne, 

This is a great topic!

Well done, sir!

Thanks!- this is what I was looking for!- So many topics on the forum- well done!  Bone