Mazon Creek Best Of The Best Mazoscolopendra Richardsoni Mundel, 1979

RCFossils

There are 3 species of centipede described from the Mazon Creek Deposit.

Mazoscolopendra is one of 2 described Scolopendromorphs. The second being Palenarthrus impressus. The main difference being Mazoscolopendra having 21 body segments and Palenarthrus having 23.

It is interesting to note that while centipede translates to 100 feet, all known centipedes have an odd number of segments.

Mazoscolopendra is essentially indistinguishable from modern day scolopendromorphs. 
Modern types have Front legs modified into fangs that inject venom into their prey. Some species are known to prey on birds, mice and even bats.

It is assumed that Mazoscolopendra had a similar venom.

A few modern types of Scolopendra are the only known aquatic centipedes.

While Mazoscolopendra is found in both the Braidwood and Essex portions of the deposit, it is believed that it was strictly terrestrial.

While some modern Scolopendridae can reach lengths of over 25 centimeters, the largest recorded length of Mazoscolopendra was around 5 centimeters. I do have a larger example in my collection that measures over 7 centimeters.

Centipedes are a very rare component of the Mazon Creek Deposit.

Based on the relative abundance study that I have referenced in previous posts, they make up approximately.002% of all Essex fossils. Out of approximately 230,000 concretions collected, 2 specimens were found.

This first specimen was collected at Pit 11 and has been prepped to expose more of the animal.

26E4120E-AB88-4353-9FCD-2DA10FD295C6.jpeg

C62F865A-862C-45A9-BE4E-F524C6277A21.jpeg

394781AB-2938-45C9-AA02-A835F7A5EC63.jpeg

• I found this Informative 15

This second specimen is very well preserved showing all 21 segments.

It was collected in the Braidwood portion of the deposit.

372CAD6F-AE6A-4ECB-AE3B-B6183918E60B.jpeg

3C00D4DD-E4C5-4904-9A16-E157432B2D07.jpeg

3645E0C2-F0BE-4673-A985-CB30662CF3FD.jpeg

5A35C8C8-E163-4581-85F5-36733FE7C891.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

This next specimen is the largest that I am aware of measuring in at over 7 centimeters.

It is associated with a Pecopteris fern.

D5F5C66C-135C-4509-BB95-F3C23A72696F.jpeg

EF22121F-A57D-48A5-8B25-4DCF81CABB21.jpeg

• I found this Informative 9

This specimen was collected at Pit 15 (Essex).

It is preserved dorsal/ventral and has a wonderful head.

DD2825DB-0BAB-41ED-B341-CC8F274DC478.jpeg

0807FC8C-0542-4AF0-A72D-77ABF3A15992.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

Very cool specimens Rob. Thanks for sharing those beautiful examples. The prep on the first one is great.

Wow...

Do you mean to imply that roughly half a million concretions were collected/examined to find these four?

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. I get so excited whenever I see you have a new post!

I'm very interested in the prep you did on the first specimen. It's beautiful. Did you do the prep or someone else? Is it common to prep Mazon Creek material? How would you know whether a specimen would be improved by prepping? How risky is it? Thanks for any info you might have.

Chris

On 1/22/2020 at 7:25 PM, Wrangellian said:

Wow...

Do you mean to imply that roughly half a million concretions were collected/examined to find these four?

Correct, according to the faunal study you should find on average approximately four centipedes for every half million concretions collected.

In actuality the odds are even less likely of finding a complete example as many specimens are partials or molts.

Of course these numbers could vary.

I have seen around a dozen specimens or so that have been collected from the actual Mazon Creek (River) site over the years. I have only seen a few from Other areas like Pit 11. 
I think if one was to really want to find a Mazon centipede, your odds would be higher if you just collected the creek site.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Absolutely gorgeous! Thanks so much for sharing. I get so excited whenever I see you have a new post!

I'm very interested in the prep you did on the first specimen. It's beautiful. Did you do the prep or someone else? Is it common to prep Mazon Creek material? How would you know whether a specimen would be improved by prepping? How risky is it? Thanks for any info you might have.

Chris

I do not personally prep my specimens.

I have a friend who is one of the best preparators in the business. He is the only person I trust with some of these one of a kind specimens.

Prepping Mazon concretions well is quite difficult as the matrix is very hard and it can be difficult to differentiate the thin fossil from the surrounding rock.

As long as the fossil is well defined, it can usually be prepped.

Most concretions do not split perfectly. Often times there are additional details hidden within the rock.

• I found this Informative 4

Awesome, Rob!  I didn't know they were that rare.  I've been told this is a centipede.  What do you think?  It's from Pit 11.

Centipede.thumb.jpg.5783c04e2cb9c65a5de77265fc90ee67.jpg

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 4

This is one of my favorite collections of yours yet. I love the great yet varying preservation of each of them.