bivalve slumb with green mud

JooJ

I have found so many of these slumbs near a green horizontal green line running all across a sandstone hill cut to extract sand. The green mud is 70cm width. They vary in sizes, but brought with me this piece. are those Inoceramus bivalve? 

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.06.47 PM copy.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.07.27 PM copy.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.08.57 PM copy.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.09.32 PM copy.png

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.11.04 PM copy.png

Agreed, oysters not Inoceramids.  Where were these collected?  What formation and age?

And what the heck is a "slumb"?

Don

I am going to guess he meant "slumps." 

His tag indicates "Anti Mount Lebanon" as a location, but no indication of geologic formation / age. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

The Anti-Lebanon Mountains are composed of Jurassic and Cretaceous rocks, I think. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

22 hours ago, JooJ said:

Screen Shot 2020-01-23 at 1.09.32 PM copy.png

The bottom shell of this one reminds me a lot Rastellum or Lopha shells. The age proposed by Adam does fit too. 

The bigger 'flatter' pieces look like they could possibly be Gryphaea. 

If so, then the fauna of the formation from which this block comes from is very similar to the Callovian sediments of the Vaches Noires in Normandy (France). 

That's all that comes to my mind so far. 

• I found this Informative 3

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

OK. Super lucky amateurs like me do not know a priori the many ways to says something with regards to the description. I would not ask you to talk economics / finance or application development if you have a great idea about. Some are demand answers I don't have and came here to share and know. I have found countless pieces of the same type of various sizes, some as big as a football. I have indicated that it comes from near a green mud line exposed in the excavation of sand in the area at 1400 elevation. Yet some want to only talk the talk and that could mean that amateurs like me will keep things to themselves. meanwhile what about the green mud on it?  nothing...no comment...except "what the hell is a slumb from a moderator! >> it is a figure of speech as to say many of the same mixed up together. I checked some literature and found few answers. Thank you all.

It sounds like you were offended that a few of asked about 'slumbs'?  I, for one, did not mean to offend, simply wanted to know.  Please do not take offense.  I have been playing and working with fossils for decades and have never seen this word.  So... curious.  

It is difficult to comment on the green line without photos of it.  

I'm not clear on what you wanted with your post.  You asked if the shells are Inoceramus, and several people told you they are not, but they are some kind of oyster.  There are thousands of species of oyster, so it is not possible to offer a narrower ID without knowing much more about the geological context in which they occur.  You tell us nothing about that, other than they are from a sandstone hill with a green line.  You don't tell us where in the world this sandstone hill might occur.  Do you think that we are familiar with every hill in the world and can immediately know which one you have in your mind?  How are we supposed to tell you the composition and nature of "green mud" from a photograph?  You use a made-up word that is completely unfamiliar to people with 50 years or more experience in paleontology and geology, and you become outraged that we even ask what you mean by "slumb"?  Also I did not use the word "hell" and I resent you saying that I did.

Don

• I found this Informative 6

I'm sorry Mr. Jooj, but you're getting much too aggressive for my liking. If you want some help here you're gonna have to change your attitude. If you can't do that then you can go elsewhere to let off steam and count me out of your game.

• I found this Informative 5

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

@JooJ, have you read the Fossil  Forum Rules & Community Standards

RULES, GUIDELINES, and TERMS OF SERVICE

The Fossil Forum is a venue for the sharing of a common interest in fossils (please note that, pursuant to this, we are fundamentally a science-based forum, wherein curiosity meets critical thinking, and topics promulgating metaphysical, paranormal, or pseudo-scientific topics will be out of place). Participants in the resulting social network expect and deserve a respectful and courteous dialog. At all times, remember that it is possible to disagree without resorting to insult or sarcasm; use reason instead. If you feel a derogatory comment or an ad hominem coming on, keep it to yourself; if you are on the receiving end, do not respond. It is never acceptable to post negative characterizations of individuals or groups of people. Prejudicial opinions based on ethnicity, religious or political persuasion, profession, place of residence, etc. are not welcome. Seriously, if the point you want to make requires disparagement of others, it is not a topic for The Fossil Forum. Remember also that two thirds of communication (inflection and body-language) are missing in the on-line environment. You know what you want to say, but everyone else has to figure it out from what you write, so write with clarity, use the emoticons to clarify your meaning, and don't be too quick to take offense at a perceived slight.

After reading this, take the time to re-familiarize yourself with the responses you have made. Hopefully then, you will be able to post more respectful comments. And if so, I hope to see you use the vast wealth of information available through members of this forum.  

Respectfully,

Mike

Mike 

• I found this Informative 3

• digit locked this topic