Troodon

Well it was about time but we have a new Tyrannosaurid from the Foremost Formation of Alberta called Thanatotheristes degrootorum.  Its part of a new clad called Daspletosaurini which comprises other Daspletosaurus spp.  The foremost is a mid Campanian deposit.  Its the first described Tyrannosaurid from this deposit.  This represents the earliest  stratigraphic occurrence of diagnostic tyrannosaurid material from Canada.

Its a paywalled paper 

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0195667119303611

Screenshot_20200123-151113.thumb.jpg.3193e2307cb6d187212257528c9c54e4.jpg

From Wiki

Screenshot_20200123-153654.thumb.jpg.ae00daf1598bd6ad78024d06e30ee93d.jpg

• I found this Informative 18

Thank you @Troodon this is really helpful and amazing information!! Finally another Tyrannosaur from Alberta!! Also is the sister taxon there referring to is it the Dinosaur Park Daspletosaurus? Or just Daspletosaurus sp. in general?

1 minute ago, Troodon said:

Its referring to all Daspletosaurus spp.

Thank you!!

• 3 weeks later...
Just now, Scylla said:

Welcome, but Troodon's post was first:)

Yeah!

And here’s a reconstruction of the skull and neck of Thanatotherises done by Julius Csotonyi.

F3C895AA-DB89-4679-871C-73AD5157D87B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 months later...

Late response to this topic but the guy it was named after is someone my family knows personally. He got really lucky with this find. I’ve been hiking the area he found it in for over a decade and just my luck I never spotted it. Mind you when they found it I was only 15-16 years old and I didn’t know a thing about identifying Dino bones back then so I could have walked right by it and I don’t even know. 

• I found this Informative 2