3 specimens: Bone or rock?

PSchleis

Found on Myrtle Beach.

A recent post about a possible bone more likely being molten lava has me wondering about the other "bone" specimens I picked up.

Here's the first batch.... Could you weigh in?

Photos with and without flash if it helps.

P1120158.JPG

P1120160.JPG

P1120163.JPG

P1120164.JPG

P1120165.JPG

P1120166.JPG

P1120161.JPG

So far only seeing specimens 1-3. Thanks for the overly brightened images. Black images on a white background tend to make the camera underexpose the scene resulting in a lack of detail in the blackened specimens. All three of these appear to have the proper shiny smooth exterior and spongy (cancellous) interior texture that fossilized bone would have. For items that large fossilized whale bone is a strong contender. Smaller fragments lacking any distinctive features (like a vertebra) will be hard to assign a precise identity to but these all look to be bone.

I certainly hope there is no molten lava in Myrtle Beach or I'd have heard about the ongoing eruptions on the news. :P Actually, I choose not to listen to the news so possibly Myrtle Beach is now a more interesting destination that I thought. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1

9 minutes ago, digit said:

So far only seeing specimens 1-3. Thanks for the overly brightened images. Black images on a white background tend to make the camera underexpose the scene resulting in a lack of detail in the blackened specimens.

I fixed the title - and put the other three on a different post! Thanks for the tip on the white background. Duh - makes sense! I won't make that mistake with future posts.

Fossilized bone that is stained black due to phosphorus during the preservation process is quite common in Florida. Most of our shark teeth from here tend to be in shades of blacks and grays. I've found that photographing them on a piece of gray construction paper helps me to white balance the photo and gives better exposure than a stark white background which the camera tries to keep from overexposing by darkening the entire image. In fact, when I am searching through fine micro-matrix gravel with my camera-microscope setup, I glue a disk of gray paper to my paper plate that I use to spread out the fine gravel. Otherwise, the digital camera attached to the microscope underexposes the tiny bits I'm searching through for the fossils that tend to be blackish or gray.

Cheers.

-Ken