ID marine fossil

Kcee

Not sure what to make of this, I first thought that maybe it was part of a large gastropod shell but after digging it out of the sandstone boulder it was in, it looks as if that may be almost the complete specimen. Looks to be about 80% complete. Anyone have a clue as to what this might be?

image_1.jpg

image_2.jpg

image_3.jpg

image_4.jpg

image_5.jpg

3 hours ago, Kcee said:

Looks to be about 80% complete.

You mean eight out of ten surfaces look unbroken ?

It seems unlikely to me.

The tip pf the siphon is gone and most or all of the whorls are gone.  You have a piece of a gastropod. 

RB

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

So what is it then? Don't keep me in suspense!

I think you're trying to describe an internal mold, but I can't confirm it from context because RJB just told us what it is. :)

Wouldn't an external cast be a little bit like trying to drink from a cannon ball ?

I think the word is columella, meaning the spiral  middle column of a snails shell, which is relatively complete in your specimen, in contrast to its outer regions.

If you search it, add "gastropod", otherwise you will find lots of pics of broken noses because its aparrently also a term in human anatomy.

Aloha

J

columella.jpg

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

22 minutes ago, Mahnmut said:

I think the word is columella

I think both columella and siphon both apply.

I couldn't find an example in my collection for reference, but I think the third photo down does look like where the two join.

Hi Rockwood,

I didn´t mean to correct you, I just thought columella might be a helpful keyword to find pictures of the structure.

Cheers,

J

• I found this Informative 3

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

Thanks for the photo Rockwood, I can clearly see that it is a fragment from a gastropod like the one you posted. There was no sign of the rest of the fossil in that boulder.

19 hours ago, Rockwood said:

I think both columella and siphon both apply.

I couldn't find an example in my collection for reference, but I think the third photo down does look like where the two join.

The siphonal canal or siphonal aperture is part of the hard shell. The siphon is the soft body part that generally won't be preserved.

• I found this Informative 1

On 1/28/2020 at 2:36 PM, Rockwood said:

I think you're trying to describe an internal mold, but I can't confirm it from context because RJB just told us what it is. :)

Wouldn't an external cast be a little bit like trying to drink from a cannon ball ?

This is getting dangerously close to the cast or mold controversy!;)