Fossil Hunting Oregons Coast

Zenmaster6

In a week or so I am going to drive  the 5 hours from Tacoma WA to Beverly beach Oregon. 

I know I will find some fossils there but I also know there are many good spots around this

area or maybe on the way that many Oregonians or other fossil hunters may know.

My main trip goes like this. 

1. Leave Tacoma WA
2. Drive to Gleneden beach
3. Drive to Beverley beach

4. Drive to seal rock beach.
5. Drive home. 

I am hoping for a little guidance for this because I am driving so far, I want to be sure I'll find something. My goal is to find some clams and maybe some turritellas from the Miocene. 
Let me know any suggestions that would be on the way / are near the Oregon coast. if anyone could tell me about their experience near Beverley beach I'd love to hear what you found and how to best find fossils there. I am open to Private messages about specific sites as well :) 

I was at Beverley Beach a couple of years ago. Great fun. I went with a tour guide : Guy DiTorrice - but he has apparently moved. He was a great resource for what to look for. Google him and you'll see some info that he has posted about what to look for if youa re not familiar.  Some things you'll find on the surface, I found a lovely large fossil shell and some smaller and lot of "dentalium" shells that look like discarded cigarettes. Most of the "good stuff" is in concretions which you have to smash open carefully with a hammer. I found lots of clams, a small section of a horsetail plant and numerous "crab bits".....was hoping for a whole crab, but got some good bits! hahahh

You want to look for the roundish or ovalish grey or beige stones.  Up close to the cliffs, just don't climb on the cliffs. or pull things out of the cliffs.  They are already eroding rapidly.  Happy Hunting! 

SAM_4980.thumb.JPG.1561df61aec837d03449ae5a7ad78951.JPG

Crab bits:

SAM_4978.thumb.JPG.183835be14de6b99ce342f95ed397918.JPG

Horsetail plant stalk bit and leaf:

5e31b0f5c37a6_SAM_4975-Copy.thumb.JPG.9b4b7649596fdec37c678909cc70f319.JPG

Clams: 

SAM_4982.thumb.JPG.2edb7f3df7b1ff3ff21330331f6cf127.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Thank you for your insight and wonderful photos.

I was curious where the cliffs were at Beverly beach? 
I read up on Oregon state law and know not to disturb the cliffs. I hope to spend a whole day there : D

Maybe I'll find a crab claw. 

I have a CP9361 Airscribe so I would be able to do prep work on some of these. 
I will make a youtube video so people can see my adventure. Thank you Jamie :)

• I found this Informative 1

a video will be great!! The cliffs are to the south (your left) as you enter onto the beach from the parking area.  We just walked directly south and picked up as many rocks that looked like they might be concretions and then spent time smasing them apart (do wear safety glasses!!!) on a big rock.  Not all will have things in them, but look for any shiny bits....that's crab apparently!  Happy Hunting! 

• I found this Informative 1