Ancient alien bite mark!

Pbassham

The bite mark(lol I know it’s not a bitemark) is an inch long and ONLY that part has crystalline chips in it.  Any help would be appreciated.

50F032AF-B243-4E66-AD73-8E70C2521A4A.jpeg

E3037D18-B4F3-4934-88DC-8D3B69A6E153.jpeg

More details would help other members narrow it down (location, formation if you know it, what other fossils you found around it if any). 

But personally I think it's a cross section of a crinoid stem.

• I found this Informative 2

Ok let me try again.  I know it was really frustrating because the Crystaline inside of the marks didn’t show up well. As for location I live in North Alabama in a town called Rogersville which is on the border of Lauderdale County and Limestone county on the shores of the Elk River. It was covered in oceans almost all over this area When just the mountain tops were out of the prehistoric ocean. It also is an sixteenth of a mile from the Elk river.  We had both confederate and union forces stationed all over as the Lambs Ferry was the second most important crossing in North Alabama and troops of both sides had to come through for any western campaign battles like Corinth, Tupelo, Vicksburg, etc, and it was all Native American land before the Trail Of Tears.

Here’s another! Sorry my files in my camera are making my pictures too big to download if I zoom or take it close up for some reason. The Cherokee and Choctaw Highway was what is today Hwy 207 and Lambs Ferry Road.  In fact Hwy 72, was already formed when settlers came to the whole Tennessee Valley.  Just in these two counties held Choctaw, Cherokee, Creek, and Chickasaw tribes at various times.  This area was Prime Hunting Ground.  We’re rich in fish, game, trees, waterways, iron, limestone, chalk, heck anything natives and settlers needed.  And of course we are Muscle Shoals lol so you know the mussels were great( but I’m glad they changed the spelling). Our waterways were a little more calm the the actual shoals which have some dangerous areas.

BB5D84C1-5A2C-432B-A27F-9D021A229364.jpeg

I can play with color saturation tint and I turned the sharpness to 100.  If y’all Can’t think of any other filters I could play with to make it easier for identification please just list them in a reply and I’ll do it won’t hurt to try.  Thank you for all the help!!!

895A7B8E-3A7B-428A-A3CD-C49FC4E607BB.jpeg

10 minutes ago, Micah said:

I’d say that’s about as convulsively crinoid as you can get on something this mineralized and weathered...

590208B5-621B-497E-AE69-CCB12DF6982D.jpeg

When I was finally able to magnify it on the phone, that part stuck out like a sore thumb.  Any idea why it only crystallized in there?  Though if anyone From Rogersville, AL, that is as ignorant in these things as I am, happens to log on and ask y’all for a second opinion... just agree that it’s the bite mark left by ancient piranha on the big toe of a T-Rex!

Basically water seeps in and dissolves the softer material inside the fossil and crystals form in the cavity provided by the fossil. 

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Pbassham said:

Any idea why it only crystallized in there?

I think that is actually a small area of the external mold. The fossil itself is made up of mineral crystals. They just don't conform to the original body form internally.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you very much! Glad to see I’m not only insomniac around the boards.  Thank you for the info, I’m new to the rock hound group but am now an addict “Hello, My name is Pam and I’m addicted to... Rocks. It’s been 12 hours since I was last elbow deep in a hole in the ground!”:heartylaugh:

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

I think that is actually a small area of the external mold. The fossil itself is made up of mineral crystals. They just don't conform to the original body form internally.

Lol yea Rockwood, I think the dissolving went a bit further than just internal on this one... it’s always fun to find really nicely preserved bivalves that are also geodes. I’ve got a really nice one somewhere, I’ll have dig it out and share sometime.