crabfossilsteve

Back in 1989 I stopped at a rock shop outside of Parrsboro NS along the Bay of Fundy and bought a couple of fossils.  Unfortunately I didn't much information with them and I'm hoping you guys might be helpful in some IDs.  One was labeled as "Dinosaur" footprint Batrachopus sp. Jurassic Period  180 million years old from New Jersey.  Can anyone verify this one.  Also, there are two other ichno foot prints from the Parrsborro area, one of which I was told was an amphibian footprint and the other a set of turtle footprints. The gentleman did fossil in areas along the Bay of Fundy.  If anyone can verify this information and possible identify the footprints and the geologic formation, that would be great. 

IMG_1023 (2).JPG

• I found this Informative 1

If Batachopus, a crocodilian not a dinosaur.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Sorry, I had to brakes the question into three pieces, same question with three different pics.  The pic on this page seems like a possible amphibian footprint, but that's a big maybe.  The Batrachopus  went with the New Jersey specimen.  Thanks for the info saying its crocodilian.  Snolly50, any ideas on location?

1 hour ago, crabfossilsteve said:

any ideas on location

Here is a link with a great deal of information packed in it, far exceeding any knowledge I might have. 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Named-ichnogenera-attributed-to-crocodylians-A-Batrachopus-B-Crocodylopodus-C_fig5_258860622

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

9 hours ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Back in 1989 I stopped at a rock shop outside of Parrsboro NS along the Bay of Fundy and bought a couple of fossils.  Unfortunately I didn't much information with them and I'm hoping you guys might be helpful in some IDs.  One was labeled as "Dinosaur" footprint Batrachopus sp. Jurassic Period  180 million years old from New Jersey.  Can anyone verify this one.  Also, there are two other ichno foot prints from the Parrsborro area, one of which I was told was an amphibian footprint and the other a set of turtle footprints. The gentleman did fossil in areas along the Bay of Fundy.  If anyone can verify this information and possible identify the footprints and the geologic formation, that would be great. 

IMG_1023 (2).JPG

I have been to Nova Scotia many times and to Parrsboro. And I know the seller you where talking about. So this is probably from the MCcoy Brook Formation, 201-190 million years ago. So my guess is either some type of Crocodilian or a animal like Postosuchus.

20 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

So my guess is either some type of Crocodilian or a animal like Postosuchus.

Can you explain just how it's preserved/exposed ?

My trust of a person titled seller isn't so pretty strong.

@Rockwood He’s trustworthy he’s the one who discovered the smallest dinosaur footprints in the world in the MCcoy Brook Formation. His shop has since been closed and his collection is now exhibited at the Fundy Geological Museum, with fossils and minerals from all around Nova Scotia, he had made a lot of contributions to Nova Scotia’s Paleontology. And the MCcoy Brook Formation is exposed on a cliff side in between Parssboro and Five Islands Provincial Park, and most of its red sandstone like P.E.I’s red sand and dirt. Also not to far from it is the North Mountain Basalt a Basalt that was laid down juring the Triassic- Jurassic boundary with the exception of a few fossils in the Basalt. Most of the animals there are Dinosaurs, Crocodilians, Amphibians, Turtles  lizards, Pterosaurs, insects animals like Postosuchus and so on.

Thanks alot Dinosaur man, that sounds exactly like the person that I bought and traded specimens from back in 1989.  He talked about the smallest dinosaur foot prints  that he had found and his shop was right on the right side along the water as you were coming into Parrsboro from the south.  I can remember he had all sorts of local fossils including fossilized rain drops...cool. 

The bones in it show similar relations to the arm of a Crocodilian or Postosuchus. 

Dinosaur man do you think the museum or he would identify those foot prints?   Also, see the other post further down.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

48 minutes ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Dinosaur man do you think the museum or he would identify those foot prints?   Also, see the other post further down.

I seen your other fossils from there and yes the museum would definitely, but sadly he would not be able to since he past away in late 2018 :shakehead:. And his collection is now at the museum.

Oh sorry to hear about his passing.  It would be cool to see his collection, it must have been extensive.  How old was he when he passed away?  I'll try to contact the museum later.

1 hour ago, crabfossilsteve said:

Oh sorry to hear about his passing.  It would be cool to see his collection, it must have been extensive.  How old was he when he passed away?  I'll try to contact the museum later.

I’ve got to see his collection it’s amazing!!, and extensive, his whole collection is now owned by the museum, I will post some photos tomorrow if you would like. And he was 87 when he passed.

You're welcome, and here’s some photos of his collection at the museum, from when I went in July.

D5502F4F-F873-47DD-9967-033033C3BB23.png

4D49D89D-55C1-43EF-AA0F-F9A146E0F7E5.png

FC0BAD06-4167-45E2-A6B5-528A007A059B.jpeg

And the worlds smallest dinosaur  footprints each one is about a square centimetre in size the scale is a Canadian penny!! And these are just some of the collections there are a lot more that I might post tomorrow. It’s a huge collection from all time periods in Nova Scotia!!

C5652C47-32C8-4991-B3D9-64D51F55D144.png

• I found this Informative 2