Need help on these 2 finds.

Joe_17

I need help identifying what kind of tooth this is. Was told it could be a bison or bovine tooth. But is there a way of positively identifying it ? And is the second a nodule of some sort ?

20200202_152137.jpg

20200202_152144.jpg

Second picture looks like a sandstone pebble. First picture definitely a bovid tooth. Looks like cow because it looks like it lacks any stylids (little doughnut looking structure between ridges on the teeth) which help characterize adult bison from cows. Credit to @Harry Pristis for teaching me about that. A better picture of the crown (top) would help confirm.

• I found this Informative 2

11 hours ago, Micah said:

cow because it looks like it lacks any stylids

Again, the stylid issue comes up!!! My past research into Florida fossils showed me that a stylid exists on bovine and bison but not on llama and camel. Please, those in the know, inform us of the truth here. Seems to be two philosophies promoted on the forum. Thanks!!!! 

Mike

Bison and cow molars have isolated stylids.  Every isolated stylid merges with the main body of the crown when worn down far enough.  These jaws are individually variable.  At one time, I believed the robustness of an isolated stylids were more important to distinguishing between bison and cow.  Now, I think that clue is more subtle than just plain size of the tooth.  Beyond that, an unworn bison tooth may have a crenulated enamel exterior, while cow enamel tends to be smooth.  Of course, context of the find is also important.

cow_cheekteeth.JPG

bisonteethocclusalstylid.JPG

• I found this Informative 3

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest

@Harry Pristis, so what I see above is a tooth with a stylid but the tooth has not been worn down enough to show the stylus cross section on the chewing surface???? Sorry to keep rehashing.  

Mike

• I found this Informative 1