Riker display case's - flexible

Abyss

I never had a need for Riker flexible display case's, & still could do without. Though 1 item may look nicer in the display case,  let alone save time or prevent the dust cleaning of it.

I have a modern day nautilus shell cut into 3 - middle section cut out = left side, middle, right side. So I can display all at once the outside shell, the inner middle, and the insides up against the outer shell.

Since the shell is fragile, glass is out of the question. 

I've did a quick search & I have not found any rectangle display cases that offer plastic film vs glass & be viewed from both sides.

Which also the glass versions don't look like you're able to look at the item from both sides, they have a backing or ? or I may  be wrong I don't know.

Though I would like to be able to just flip if want to, to see both sides of the shells.

Now the size I would need, maybe more for the extra distance from item to edging of case ?

13" width x 6" height x 1.25" thick

If I can't find something like that I may need to do separated into 3 case's which are not as nice.

If so 4.5" width x 6" height x 1.25" thick

Any ideas, does someone make a item this size in flexible display ?

Have you looked into a large membrane display?  They are flexible and clear for viewing both sides.

Something similar to this may fit your purpose.

20200203_171101.png

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Have you looked into a large membrane display?  They are flexible and clear for viewing both sides.

Something similar to this may fit your purpose.

20200203_171101.png

That is what I was thinking Doren. I use this same frame on some of my fossils, but I have not seen them the size the member is looking for.

• I found this Informative 2

If the cases are not made in the size I want, then I may have to make my own.

What type of clear plastic do they use, is  it some what of a firm plastic or is it very flimsy to allow stretching ?

Any thoughts as to where that plastic would be sold at ?

2 hours ago, Abyss said:

What type of clear plastic do they use, is  it some what of a firm plastic or is it very flimsy to allow stretching ?

Try Cadillac Plastics online. Contact them and tell them what you want and they will most likely have it in stock.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

7 hours ago, Abyss said:

I think its polyethylene and it cannot be firm in fact they are very thin.  Needs to be able to form around fragile fossils.  All the ones sold are manufactured in china.  

You're correct @Troodon (at least the ones I'm familiar with). are made of a very thin flexible and stretchy film (really a membrane) commonly called PET (polyethylene terephthalate).

I suspect it'd be pretty difficult to work with to stretch and hold it under the proper tension needed to make your own cases.

If you do try it  @Abyss , please let us know how you make out.

16 hours ago, NCSTer said:

You're correct @Troodon (at least the ones I'm familiar with). are made of a very thin flexible and stretchy film (really a membrane) commonly called PET (polyethylene terephthalate).

I suspect it'd be pretty difficult to work with to stretch and hold it under the proper tension needed to make your own cases.

If you do try it  @Abyss , please let us know how you make out.

Ok that doesn't sound good.

I've never seen nor held a flexible Riker display case, so I don't know much about them & didn't know that film might not be easy to work with to get a prefect display.

Maybe I'll have to go the glass case route, though not able to see both sides by just flipping not over.

15 minutes ago, Abyss said:

I've never seen nor held a flexible Riker display case

Bit of clarification here -- I've never seen one either. I believe Riker is a brand name for certain display cases, and I have no idea if they make a "flexible" version or not.

The PET cases I was referring to (and I believe @caldigger @Nimravis & @Troodon were also citing) are actually sold as jewelry display cases and are available in several sizes, most pretty small and relatively cheap. They all seem to come from Asia and are offered by various sellers on "everyone's favorite auction site."