Ornitholestes Vertebrae

dinosaur man

Hi I found this and was wondering if the ID was right. Just trying to improve my knowledge on fossils. It doesn’t look Theropod in origin, considering it doesn’t have the honeycomb texture of a Theropod fossil, Thank you!!

28B60B86-8C72-4250-932B-27473AA8A5A9.jpeg

CD0ED1AD-2B3E-4B2E-9C78-B624B34DC01C.jpeg

2504DFCD-B10D-4F25-8267-42A516BE512E.jpeg

I will post other fossils later, I’m just trying to improve my knowledge of fossils!! :trilo:

close ups like your first photo are much more useful than the others.  Off hand it looks like there is not enough to ID it.  Can you tell us where it is form, and what Formation?  These help in IDing bones.

4 minutes ago, jpc said:

close ups like your first photo are much more useful than the others.  Off hand it looks like there is not enough to ID it.  Can you tell us where it is form, and what Formation?  These help in IDing bones.

I am pretty sure this one is from the auction site and I think I saw the listing which said Morrison Formation. I can not remember any other location details 

• I found this Informative 1

It does say it’s from Colorado too. It could also be a possible Ornithopod since it doesn’t look like a Theropod. and @jpc I don’t have better photos it’s from a seller. Just trying to learn more on how to identify fossils, so I thought I would try this and see what you guys think it could be.

Yeah I’m trying on fossils that are being sold, to educate myself more on fossil identification. And Thank you @jpc!

I wish sellers would not hold fossils and just set them down to take photos.   Centrum's are very hard to identify since there is not a lot of diagnostic features to go on, the spines are the key in identification especially with more obscure dino's.   Some cannot be positively identified, not a lot of publications that describe post cranial bones.   I agree with jpc and tell everyone if the seller does not provide you with what you need move one.   You don't want to be guessing..

25 minutes ago, Troodon said:

I wish sellers would not hold fossils and just set them down to take photos.   Centrum's are very hard to identify since there is not a lot of diagnostic features to go on, the spines are the key in identification especially with more obscure dino's.   Some cannot be positively identified and publications are far and few on lots of Morrison dinosaurs.   I agree with jpc and tell everyone if the seller does not provide you with what you need move one.   You don't want to be guessing..

There's a lot of interesting material on the market - yes, there's no need to wait and guess....:thumbsu:

Here is a great paper that shows how many Ornithischian dinos there are in the Morrison that might fit the bill on this one.   Its a very informative paper that Ken Carpenter et al. put out, a super reference source.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/327079773_A_photo_documentation_of_bipedal_ornithischian_dinosaurs_from_the_Upper_Jurassic_Morrison_Formation_USA

• I found this Informative 5

Thank you everyone this has been very informative!! And Thank you @Troodon for the paper!!

22 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Just trying to learn more on how to identify fossils, so I thought I would try this and see what you guys think it could be.

A nice tactic and will be helpful in the future.  The best way to learn is to teach yourself rather than have someone show/tell you (at least for me anyways :)).  Never hesitate to ask questions either ;) 

29 minutes ago, Runner64 said:

A nice tactic and will be helpful in the future.  The best way to learn is to teach yourself rather than have someone show/tell you (at least for me anyways :)).  Never hesitate to ask questions either ;) 

Thank you!! I know just seeing what everyone else thinks, I thought it could be an Ornithopod, and Troodons paper help me with that, it is probably Ornithopod!! And I won’t hesitate!!