So.... fossil ivory? Something else? Enquiring minds!

Crazypoet

4 hours ago, Kato said:

I've never seen Alaskan mammoth tusks.

Even though I have defected to the wood encampment, here are some samples of what made me think Alaskan tusk in the first place.

20200205_175949.png

20200205_180013.png

As you can see, sometimes the Schreger Lines aren't always blatantly visible in a cut end.  This piece you only see them in a few select spots.

20200205_180049.png

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

22 minutes ago, caldigger said:

As you can see, sometimes the Schreger Lines aren't always blatantly visible in a cut end.  This piece you only see them in a few select spots.

That has to represent a wave function of some sort.

Don't ask me solve the equation for it though.

21 hours ago, Kato said:

@Rockwood 

You have me cornered or are you trying to corner me?  ;)  8 lbs is too heavy for wood that I am familiar with. Perhaps even too heavy for a specimen of 'rock' that size. I have lots of rocks in my yard that size that perhaps weigh half that amount.  I just went out and weighed some. They weighed closer to 4-5 lbs. Granted there are rocks that are denser and would weigh more. 

To confound me it just does not look permineralized or petrified. Thus, though I am in the 'wood camp' I just can't decide if I am in the modern or ancient wood camp. 

Regardless, it would make a nice display piece when stood on the flat end.

On 05/02/2020 at 1:22 PM, fifbrindacier said:

It looks like polished ivory, but the lines and the aspect of the shown end make also me think about a piece of wood. So, i think this is a piece of worn driftwood.

I should have said mineralized driftwood, so, ancient.

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

On 2/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, Kato said:

How about a simple hardness test? If it is wood, then you may be able to make an indentation in the wood with your fingernail. I would try the end grain as it seems to be unfinished.

Maybe you'd be able to post a sharp enlarged image of the area in orange?

E207BA1C-772C-4486-8637-DDA4F4D012B8.thumb.jpeg.75d39e3928b82358f7a019328e6f3205.jpeg.6673258b66617e0823056c96f319a460.jpeg

Could not make an indent with my fingernail or copper penny, but a pen-knife blade scratched it easily

image.jpg

Closer view of the cut end

i’ll polish a small section when I can sit with it for an hour and see if a smoother finish helps

also, it has a “ring” when tapped with something hard - almost like porcelain 

image.jpg

Edited by Crazypoet
Additional comment

I did an image search on hackberry and I’m in the wood camp myself

the piece seems oddly heavy, but I don’t know hackberry’s density, so it could fit

in either case it’s lovely and I very much appreciate the assistance here

Edited by Crazypoet

With the new photos I have to back away from the angiosperm idea. This looks very much like conifer wood or the general form at least.

Modern conifer wood would not likely be confused for stone. So unless you can whittle on it I'd say it's a fossil.

2 hours ago, Rockwood said:

With the new photos I have to back away from the angiosperm idea. This looks very much like conifer wood or the general form at least.

Modern conifer wood would not likely be confused for stone. So unless you can whittle on it I'd say it's a fossil.

It’s Far too hard to whittle, but the grain and rings suggest elm or hackberry

possibly fossilized or at least partially fossilized

But not ivory - that much is pretty clear

1 minute ago, Crazypoet said:

grain and rings suggest elm or hackberry

What I thought looked like pores earlier now appear to me to be roughness from the cut.

I think it needs a better polish to say with greater confidence.

Of what I see, dosen't look like a proboscidean tusk fragment, to me.

No Schreger lines=no proboscidean

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

What I thought looked like pores earlier now appear to me to be roughness from the cut.

I think it needs a better polish to say with greater confidence.

I’ll be polishing at least part of the base to get both a better view of the pore/grain structure and to also develop a better idea of relative hardness and density