Broken Glossopteris

Yoda

So I have recently seen a few Glossopteris of interest and have bought a few to add to the collection.

This one arrived in the mail in pieces 

Am quite disappointed as it was a good size (24 x 15 cm) at a very reasonable price. 

The seller has given me a full refund and has said I can keep the item. 

(Must say that after seeing a number of "red flag" items on their website, I will never touch this company again)....anyhow. 

Is this worth repairing?

If so, how would I go about it?

a.jpg

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

16 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Superglue schould do the trick. They look like clean breaks.

The main break down the middle seems to be a clean break.

Not too sure about the corners though

Will have to take a closer look over the weekend. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160.png MotM August 2023 - Eclectic Collector

35 minutes ago, Yoda said:

The main break down the middle seems to be a clean break.

Not too sure about the corners though

Will have to take a closer look over the weekend. 

If the corners aren't clean, then it's probably better to use a thick epoxy to fill the gaps.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

So this is my first attempt at a fossil repair. 

Probably not the best job ever. But once I had applied the glue, I found it difficult to apply constant pressure on the join for an extended period of time. 

I only repaired the main crack. 

Not the corner. As fair as I could see, there was no significant leaf material on the corners, so I didn't see the benefit of trying to repair them

B.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

7 hours ago, Yoda said:

But once I had applied the glue, I found it difficult to apply constant pressure on the join for an extended period of time. 

I use a clamp or a tie-down strap for this purpose. That way you can glue it and let it sit for a couple days. Not a bad job of your first repair, especially sice you got your money refunded.

16 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I use a clamp or a tie-down strap for this purpose. That way you can glue it and let it sit for a couple days. Not a bad job of your first repair, especially sice you got your money refunded.

Thanks

The problem was, was that the back is not flat. So it kept tipping to one side and putting pressure on the join. 

Anyhows, it look acceptable to me. 

back not flat, here in the USA we have a kids product called Play Dough, also kiddy dough. it is really soft but doesn't stick to items to level up or angle for photos. a bag is less than $4.00 USD. at Dollar General stores, you may have it in the U.K. You may need to add some very fine sand to help with support while the adhesive dry's, and a non stick cover so the sand does not remain on the glue.  To support items under my microscope I often use a  plastic jar cap with wife's dry beans, peas and or dry rice.  In your case maybe a plastic container for cementing a larger item? Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, Yoda said:

Thanks

The problem was, was that the back is not flat. So it kept tipping to one side and putting pressure on the join. 

Anyhows, it look acceptable to me. 

This is where I would use a ratcheting tie down strap. They conform to the shape of the specimen and still provide the clamping force needed to hold the joint. I used this method to hold together a mammoth humerus while the glue set.

F4A12715-0188-4CE5-BE83-AA3E30394765.thumb.jpeg.adab4a1544a1e041f50e64608fde4e17.jpeg