Honey bee?

Ruger9a

Morning folks.  I have another item from my unidentified drawer and I'm hoping someone can help identify it.  This was part of a lot sale from the 2002 Tucson show with no descriptions, it was from estate sale being sold by a friend.  All I know is he collected many west coast items.  The actual "honey bee" is 21mm long and 20mm wide.  Any help is appreciated.   

DSCN9353 (2).JPG

DSCN9354 (2).JPG

DSCN9355.JPG

It looks like the fossil dragonfly larva Libellula doris maybe from the Oligocene of Italy to me. 

• I found this Informative 9
  • Enjoyed 1
  • I Agree 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Ruger- if this is 2cm it would be a very big honey bee!  Larger than any Bumble bees I've seen.

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Ruger- if this is 2cm it would be a very big honey bee!  Larger than any Bumble bees I've seen.

The measurements were taken from the largest parts of the fossil, leg tip to leg tip and head to tail. They may be off a tad, but mostly accurate.

54 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

It looks like the fossil dragonfly larva Libellula doris maybe from the Oligocene of Italy to me. 

Thank you Tidgy'a Dad!!  I did some research on your suggestion and the photo (only one I found) looks exactly like my specimen and the description matches it also.  I'll look for additional photos and information but I believe you hit the nail on the head.  Thank you for taking the time to help identify this mystery item.

• I found this Informative 1

Time to update the old labels! emo73.gif :P A quick review shows the new classification is: Oryctodiplax gypsorum

"Earlier authors had these fossils always assigned to “Libellula doris”, a species described and named by HEER (1849) from the Late Miocene of Oeningen in Bavaria, and based only on pre-imaginal stages. CAVALLO & GALLETTI (1987) considered this identification as being incorrect, since the specimens from the Alba area possess a shorter and broader abdomen than Libellula doris, and have occasionally short lateral spines on their 8th and 9th segments, which are completely missing in Libellula doris. Additionally, in contrast to Libellula doris the fossil compression larvae from the Alba area possess a shorter 10th segment, the anal appendages are much smaller, the legs are slightly larger and the size of the mature larvae is apparently a bit smaller (Fig. 5). The bulk of larvae preserved as compression fossils from the Alba area, which exhibit quite some morphological variety, have therefore only been assigned for practical reasons to a single extinct genus and species under the collective name Oryctodiplax gypsorum of the family Libellulidae. From the observable morphological characters it appears reasonable to include the fossil specimens embedded in gypsum crystals also into the same systematic unit."

text from:

Schlüter, T., Kohring, R., Gregor, H.J. 2002

Dragonflies Preserved in Transparent Gypsum Crystals from the Messinian (Upper Miocene) of Alba, Northern Italy.

Acta Zoologica Cracoviensia, 46:373-379  PDF LINK

Cavallo, O., Galletti, P.A. 1987

Studi di Carlo Sturani su Odonati e altri Insetti Fossili del Messiniano Albese (Piemonte) con Descrizione di Oryctodiplax gypsorum n. gen. n. sp. 

[Studies by Carlo Sturani on Odonati and other Fossil Insects of the Messinian Alba (Piedmont) with Description of Oryctodiplax gypsorum n. gen. n. sp.]

Bollettino della Societa Paleontologica Italiana, 26(1-2):151-176  PDF LINK

• I found this Informative 5

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Wow, cool specimen! And the paper @piranha found? Amazing! Who thought animals could be preserved inside gypsum crystals?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

8 hours ago, caldigger said:

Come to Schaumburg, Il. We have them here pushing 1-1/4". They sound like electric drones. But yes, it does look more like a dragonfly larva.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

5 hours ago, piranha said:

Time to update the old labels! emo73.gif :P A quick review shows the new classification is: Oryctodiplax gypsorum

text from:

Schlüter, T., Kohring, R., Gregor, H.J. 2002

Dragonflies preserved in transparent gypsum crystals from the Messinian (Upper Miocene) of Alba, Northern Italy. Acta Zoologica Cracoviensia, 46:373-379  PDF LINK

Earlier authors had these fossils always assigned to “Libellula doris”, a species described and named by HEER (1849) from the Late Miocene of Oeningen in Bavaria, and based only on pre-imaginal stages. CAVALLO & GALLETTI (1987) considered this identification as being incorrect, since the specimens from the Alba area possess a shorter and broader abdomen than Libellula doris, and have occasionally short lateral spines on their 8th and 9th segments, which are completely missing in Libellula doris. Additionally, in contrast to Libellula doris the fossil compression larvae from the Alba area possess a shorter 10th segment, the anal appendages are much smaller, the legs are slightly larger and the size of the mature larvae is apparently a bit smaller (Fig. 5). The bulk of larvae preserved as compression fossils from the Alba area, which exhibit quite some morphological variety, have therefore only been assigned for practical reasons to a single extinct genus and species under the collective name Oryctodiplax gypsorum of the family Libellulidae. From the observable morphological characters it appears reasonable to include the fossil specimens embedded in gypsum crystals also into the same systematic unit.

Cavallo, O., Galletti, P.A. 1987

Studi di Carlo Sturani su Odonati e altri insetti fossili del Messiniano albese (Piemonte) con descrizione di Oryctdiplax gypsorum n. gen. n. sp. 

[Studies by Carlo Sturani on Odonati and other fossil insects of the Messinian Alba (Piedmont) with description of Oryctdiplax gypsorum n. gen. n. sp.]

Bollettino della Societa Paleontologica Italiana, 26(1/2):151-176

Thank you Piranha!  Everything I can find reflects exactly what you provided.  I appreciate your time and research very much.  I can correctly display this item now.

• 1 year later...

There's another possibility if the specimen is from California:

https://www.jstor.org/stable/1303884

You'd have to compare matrix pieces but it's more likely from the Italian site as there was a time (80's-90's) when dragonfly nymph specimens were easy to find on the market particularly at the the larger shows like Tucson.  Some pieces had a few on them.

29 minutes ago, siteseer said:

You'd have to compare matrix pieces but it's more likely from the Italian site as there was a time (80's-90's) when dragonfly nymph specimens were easy to find on the market particularly at the the larger shows like Tucson.  Some pieces had a few on them.

Sì, sono d'accordo....la litologia della matrice è coerente con gli esemplari provenienti dall' Italia. happy0144.gif

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png