Petrified wood specimen?

Ricky

7 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I'm sorry to offend anyone. I was just asking for advice and opinions and some people seem like they would argue with a fence post

The Forum is a different in tone than many places you'll find online.  If someone disagrees with what you see, they are not doing it here to troll anyone.

Try taking photos with the camera a little further from the item.  Notice the focus is better on the dog food bag.  

• I found this Informative 3

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

41 minutes ago, Ricky said:

I'm sorry to offend anyone. I was just asking for advice and opinions and some people seem like they would argue with a fence post

Nobody's argueing with a fencepost. We honestly just can't SEE much in the way of details on what you want our advice and opinions on. Most of the photos are just too blurry. It's as simple as that.

• I found this Informative 1

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

We are obviously not seeing what is visible to you in hand.

It is a bit pointless to keep posting blurry pictures and expecting different answers.

To head off any more frustration,  please get a different camera and take sharp, well lit photos. 

Your current photo quality is not conducive to be able to make any kind of determination as to what you have there.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

I was getting wood a lil bit ago and found this one and you can tell what it is

Possibly, if the photo was in focus. Back away from the subject until it is in focus and don't move the camera or the subject as you press the shutter release. Seriously, and with no malice, your photos are horrid. It is difficult enough to ID something from a photo of it. A bad photo makes it even harder. We don't have the option of seeing them as you do in person, so the best we can say is that we can't say, because we can't see the details that would allow us to ID them.

However, the last photo you posted is DEFINITELY NOT fossil wood, or for that matter, fossil anything. It is 100% geological in nature. That one is identifiable despite the lack of detail in the photo.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

10 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

However, the last photo you posted is DEFINITELY NOT fossil wood, or for that matter, fossil anything. It is 100% geological in nature. That one is identifiable despite the lack of detail in the photo.

I disagree...I don't think anyone could "DEFINITELY" rule out fossil wood based on the last photo or photos.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

Yea that is what I call shatter flint you can't make an arrowhead out of it banded flint is what I think is the name there is a lot of it but when the snow finishes melting I'll go find better pieces

2 hours ago, Ricky said:

IMG_20200209_171922.jpg

Oops, my bad. I meant this one. Somehow I didn't see the ones after this.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Keep in mind that all fossil wood is far from equal in it's preservation quality. There are multiple subdivisions in the naming of it.

Yea that is what I call shatter flint. You can't make an arrowhead out of it. Banded flint is what I think is the name. There is a lot of it but when the snow finishes melting I'll go find better pieces. I went on my computer and I used my kindle to load these pics, but on the kindle they're decent pics but on my computer they are horrible. I'll take some better ones in a few

I'd look at the Virginia geology map for where you collected these specimens. You can then tell us the formation the specimens came from which will help.

After checking out info about flint chert the way it forms and deteriorated explains my rocks the only thing fossily about mine is one piece happens to show the anchor points of sponges to the sea floor on one piece thanks for the help and sorry for being a butt.

9 hours ago, Ricky said:

the only thing fossily about mine is one piece happens to show the anchor points of sponges to the sea floor on one piece thanks for the help and sorry for being a butt.

Sponge roots are fun things to argue about. How about another thread on them.

Seriously. It makes for good discussion.

My geological data for where I live is dirrectly on a fault line with Devonian Mississippi on one side and Cambrian on the other in the valley and ridge portion of Virginia

I googled "Saltville Geology" and was fascinated by the complexity of your area. You shouldn't have any trouble finding paleozoic fossils nearby.

Down town in a creek I got some bison teeth im trying to find them and show you they are a whole mtn top nearby that is covered in fossilized seaworm holes pretty cool 

3 hours ago, Plax said:

I googled "Saltville Geology" and was fascinated by the complexity of your area. You shouldn't have nay trouble finding paleozoic fossils nearby.

If you ever get a chance come by and check us out there's a good chance your table salt came from here