Some sort of tooth picked up in the Thames

Clay man

Hi

I picked up this object which I believe to be some sort of tooth, while mudlarking in the Thames. Photos included. Does anyone knows what animal it may have belonged to?

Thanks!

IMG_6414_resized.JPG.897180990aa366f608ba54fb2b708688.JPGIMG_6413_resized.JPG.1f3ec97c84bd2a88bef05ccbf4e221a6.JPGIMG_6412_resized.JPG.096c2117b1bb9d618cd13896cf767a75.JPGIMG_6411_resized.JPG.16f8dd1a88ba5d181b5f520659bdf322.JPG

• I found this Informative 1

Yes it is of a mammal, which from the pictures provided looks possibly fossilised :). However, my strong point is not mammals so someone else probably can give a type for you.

2 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Big enough to be aurochs ?

Don't know, maybe... Good point...

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Keep in mind, the Thames was the garbage disposal for London and likely every other town along its path for centuries.  It would be interesting to find out just how old of a tooth you have there.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Some extra info, the tooth's crown length is 37 mm. It does not look like the sides have eroded to make it smaller than it actually is. There is also fossilised sediment not evident on the photos.

Due to the blackness I would imagine it being quite old because as I have read, (depending on conditions) it can take a long time turn black. I am trying to research now what are good estimates for a tooth to turn black.

13 minutes ago, Clay man said:

Due to the blackness I would imagine it being quite old because as I have read, (depending on conditions) it can take a long time turn black. I am trying to research now what are good estimates for a tooth to turn black.

If the conditions are right (in water with rotting  plant  material ) bone can turn colour very quickly . @caldigger did you do an experiment a few years ago? 

1 hour ago, Clay man said:

the tooth's crown length is 37 mm.

I think this may eliminate the aurochs idea. There could have been smaller individuals though.

My sense is that it might be very old. Teeth are denser than bone and generally do take longer to darken.