Found in North Alabama - not sure what it is

David Ferguson

I was out yard saleing and cam across an eccentric fellow who had this on one of his tables.

n opinionIt looked pretty cool so I bought it.  I asked for an opinion from a friend and he thinks it

is a whale vertebrae .  I have absolutely no idea what do you guys think?  

Thanks in advance for the opinions

20200211_150133.jpg

David, can you provide us with more pictures from all sides and ends?  Trying to ID something from an abtruse angle is difficult.  

I'm not seeing anything that screams bone from the provided shots so far.

It looks geologic rather than biologic.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I'm not seeing bone here either.

I could see there being trace fossils near the remains of some sort of fossil though.

It certainly is not a whale vertebra.  It resembles a piece of chert, which are common in some of the limestone formations in North Alabama. 

Don

8 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

It resembles a piece of chert, which are common in some of the limestone formations in North Alabama. 

In that situation the material would likely be largely from biological sources such as sponge spicules and diatom frustules. Correct ?

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

In that situation the material would likely be largely from biological sources such as sponge spicules and diatom frustules. Correct ?

No. 

Chert is a really vague term for microcrystalline or cryptocrystalline quartz/ silica. 

May be of organic origin or just chemical. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

sorry everyone for the multiple posts for the pics of my rock.  I am pretty much sure it is just a run of the mill rock at this point.

But it is a pretty cool looking one.  Thanks for your time and comments!

3 hours ago, David Ferguson said:

sorry everyone for the multiple posts for the pics of my rock.  I am pretty much sure it is just a run of the mill rock at this point.

But it is a pretty cool looking one.  Thanks for your time and comments!

No problem. The extra photos have confirmed for me that this is not bone, but rather an interestingly shaped rock.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/