a few Riker Mounts for your enjoyment

jpc

Hi y'all.  Inspired by Marco sr's post of his Riker Mounts a few weeks ago, here are a few of mine.  These are all 6 inch by 4 inch Rikers.  I took the glass off some to avoid reflections.  If anyone wants to see better pix of any of these, let me know.  

Start with a pile of Lance Fm (late Cretaceous of Wyoming) bones and teeth.  There are too many fossil in all of this to ID them all, so I will just label a few of my faves.  If you want more IDs, just ask. Top left, two Leptoceratops teeth.  The brown ones below the right Lepto tooth are baby hadrosaur teeth.

IMG_6878.jpg.c1c4411ae3c93b36387b4818c2c722ea.jpg

Below, Hell Creek from Montana.  The thing in the middle is one of the pelvis bones form a champsosaur. To its left, a croc claw, then a coprolite.

IMG_6881.jpg.f5e11813ffafef39f961f37e9672cc3a.jpg

Below, Cretaceous mammals... sorta.  The ones labeld Montana (MT) are from the same site as above.  It has late Cretaceous as well as early Paleocene fossils, which except for dinosaurs and mammals are mostly very similar.  The three lower jaws are all classically Paleocene.  I think the site has reworked Cretaceous stuff, but there is a paper out there claiming that the site has Paleocene mammals in the late Cretaceous.  These small teeth really should be photographed under the microscope.

IMG_6886.jpg.060db7ba5aa0dd48a8bd808996317527.jpg

And now for some Eocene fun.  These are from one of my faviorite sites in the Wasatch Fm of southwestern Wyoming.  The square thing in the upper left is a piece of bird eggshell.  There are turtle pieces (including the blue one), a croc jaw piece, fish bones, a lizard scute, hackberry seeds, a lizard frontal bone, a Coryphodon ungual, and more in here.

IMG_6882.jpg.e6afc2bb087054a8f705a7ad13f64620.jpg 

These are mosty mammal teeth from an Eocene site west of Casper. (Sorry it is out focus).  If you look closely you will see a theropod tooth found in this Eocene site.  One could argue that this is proof that dinosaurs survived into the Eocene, but I say poppycock.  I have also found Cretceous shark teeth and pieces of baculites here.  They are all, in my book, reworked from local Cretaceous beds into the Eocene beds.

IMG_6883.jpg.2141e2dd4d9cbe239bd4720cc96b4aae.jpg

This last one is all mammals from the same site I mentioned above in the Wasatch Fm of SW Wyoming.  Oops, I lied,the top right toe bone is form a turtle.

The dark one in the upper left is a nice maxilla with 5 teeth.  I have IDed it as Haplomylus.

IMG_6887.jpg.33ff92d441cd01e620185babeb8207f3.jpg

Thanks for looking.  Hope you all enjoyed the show.

• I found this Informative 29

I also like Cretaceous mammals and Eocene fun display is really cool , that is some beautiful turquoise  blue colour on the crocodile egg shell, just amazing hue.  
Very nice displays thanks Bobby 

Beautiful display! Some really cool fossils :) 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Very interesting, and different from what we usually see. 

Very cool!  B)

Thanks for showing us and widening our horizons a bit, JP!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

A very impressive collection, nicely displayed. Congratulations. I especially appreciate the Cretaceous and Eocene mammal jaw/teeth specimens. Very cool!

I was scrolling down looking at titles of post and saw your name on one.  I knew it would be good stuff.  You didnt disapoint.  Really nice stuff!

RB

Very nice collection. Thanks for sharing!

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

Nice rikers.  Like your mammal material.  The mimatuta jaw is very nice.  I agree think its paleocene it's not part of HC fauna.  Collected at a ranch in montana in Cretaceous deposits where T Kelly described a couple of new mammal species but believed it was possibly paleocene 

16 hours ago, Troodon said:

Nice rikers.  Like your mammal material.  The mimatuta jaw is very nice.  I agree think its paleocene it's not part of HC fauna.  Collected at a ranch in montana in Cretaceous deposits where T Kelly described a couple of new mammal species but believed it was possibly paleocene 

Yeah, Kelly is the one who thinks the site is Cretaceous and that the Paleocene mammals actually evolved in the late Cretaceous.  (He wrote the paper, but fails to mention that I found it.  He was not aware of that aspect).   

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/06dc/79ce8b6a5bc35e2f1314b140aff0d61a0785.pdf

They got a lot more nice mammals out of it than I did, but the landowners did dig into it very agressively.  

• I found this Informative 1