bericson

Please Help ID

bericson

I found a cave recently, located about 30 feet above a creek on a hillside. Inside the cave I found a chunk of sediment, hardened into a sort of conglomerate. I split open the rock and inside found this. I have no idea what it is, thinking maybe a seed of some sort. Also in the conglomerate were crinoids and clam shell fossils, so this stuff seems old to me. I am located in central Missouri, USA and would really appreciate your help in identifying what this is. It is just over 1 inch in length (25.4 mm) and about 1/4 inch thickness (6.35 mm). On one side, there is a sort of indention that still has some of the conglomerate material in it. The side pictured is what I consider the front and is not the side with the indention and conglomerate, just to clarify.  

IMG_5510.jpg

fifbrindacier

Could you show us photos of each face as well as the above, under and profiles please ?

As it is it looks to have pectinid features but we need those other pics to narrow it down.

Sophie.

bericson

IMG_5508.PNG

bericson

5e4cbc44aacc4_IMG_5520(2).PNG.492ccf96e11cb55985337c9557944a8b.PNG

fifbrindacier

Is there a little foramen at the top of it ? Because with the new pics you provided, it more looks like a brachiopod.

Shamalama

Agreed, It looks like a Horn coral that was eroded prior to burial. If the rocks you found it in are Devonian in age, look up Aulacophyllum. Or it might be a similar genus.

Tidgy's Dad

Not a brachiopod. 

I'd agree with solitary rugose 'horn' coral. 

bericson

Thank you all for the help! I really appreciate it, hopefully I can find more specimens to help identify this further