Fossil found at beach?

Sarah_g_47

It's gorgeous, but I'm not sure it's a fossil. I think you've just got a really strangely shaped rock, probably weathered away like that by the water. How large is it? 

• I found this Informative 2

Welcome to tje forum!

I' m not sure what the nice specimen you find might be, but in my opinion, it might have a geological pattern.

Maybe, some kind of limestone nodule/concretion resembling bone structure.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Not sure that is organic or not. Would need focused photos of all sides. At this point from what I can see, I'm leaning towards geological in origin. Really, really cool, but geological.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The Phrygian hat that adorned our Mariana’s head on the French stamps ! https://www.wikitimbres.fr/timbres/1538/sans-legende-particuliere-type-liberte-de-gandon

Sorry !:D Geological.

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

2 hours ago, Fishkeeper said:

It's gorgeous, but I'm not sure it's a fossil. I think you've just got a really strangely shaped rock, probably weathered away like that by the water. How large is it? 

Thank you for the reply! Its about 5 to 6 inches long, it very well may be rock. Here is a photo of the bottom.

86DCD7A8-C44B-47D8-8E99-E608D4A05772.jpeg

Yeah, I'm inclined to think it's rock. Possibly more interesting than some shard of bone, what with trying to figure out how that happened. I'm guessing the curved part was buried in the sand at some point, and the waves washed that upper part down? The streamlined shape looks like it was maybe in some sort of steady flow.

It definitely looks like some sort of organic shape, but it's too even. If you look, there's no notable textural differences that would show inside vs outside of some kind of bone. Coral would probably be rougher. And it doesn't look like any part of anything's skeleton, that I'm aware of. I call those "suggestive rocks", and they are in a separate category from the other kind of suggestive rocks, which are generally *cough* some form of cylindrical. 

19 hours ago, Fishkeeper said:

I call those "suggestive rocks", and they are in a separate category from the other kind of suggestive rocks, which are generally *cough* some form of cylindrical. 

You mean dinosaur eggs, of course. :heartylaugh:

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!