Geocoma Carinata (brittle starfish) real or carved?

Rvald005

Hello everyone!

first time poster here. I wanted to gather some opinions on whether this is a genuine or carved brittle starfish. I found it for sale online and wanted to purchase it for my collector wife (as a surprise). However, I heard/read there are many fake fossils and I don’t have enough confidence to make a call on its authenticity. What do you all think?

thanks a lot for the help and advice.

-Robert

40D81A91-60A8-4D37-9D06-BF47518B1F8D.png

Stay away from this one. This is a carving (a poor one!). Also note the “starfish” on the lower right where the arm at 9 o’clock seems to terminate without a tip, almost as though they forgot to continue it.

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

Stay away from this one. This is a carving (a poor one!). Also note the “starfish” on the lower right where the arm at 9 o’clock seems to terminate without a tip.

Thank you for the quick reply! Okay I’ll keep looking for other options. Thanks again :)

Just now, Darktooth said:

Wow, that is bad.:duh2:

Thanks for the reply! Is it safe to say the majority of the fakes would have this carved outline?

1 hour ago, Kane said:

Also note the “starfish” on the lower right where the arm at 9 o’clock seems to terminate without a tip, almost as though they forgot to continue it.

We'll have to have Adam step up the quality control in his factories. ;)

Just to be fair to the sea star, these are patterned after enlarged brittle stars which lose their limbs at the slightest disturbance.

However, it would be far beyond coincidence to have the broken off stump conveniently covered by the arm of another. :shakehead:

They forgot to carve that one!

1 hour ago, Rvald005 said:

Thanks for the reply! Is it safe to say the majority of the fakes would have this carved outline?

Honestly it depends. Prepping the outline is done by some people on actual fossils in order to make them stand out more. It’s just a personal preference. 

As you see, it’s also done on fakes like this one to give it depth and the illusion that the carving has some sort of biological form.

It’s not a 100% accurate way to spot a fake/carved specimen.

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

22 hours ago, Rvald005 said:

Yes and no, depending on this and that. We'd have to make an expert out of you, and I don't think we have enough time before your wife's bithday. Post the items you're considering. We'll try to help you not get taken to the cleaners.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!