Supposed Spinosaurus Jaw

Came across this piece. Its advertised as being a juvie spinosaurus jaw with some of its teeth/roots still intact. Looks shady as heck to me and even if its 'real' it looks more like those elosuchus jaw parts you might find online. What do you guys say?

spinojaw3.jpg

spinojaw2.jpg

spinojaw1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Imo i lean towards this being a croc jaw...... the spacing between the tooth sockets and the shape of the piece look like some of the Elosuchus jaw fragments i have seen

For comparison

Nearly complete cranium of Elosuchus cherifiensis E 1 in: A, dorsal; C, ventral; E, occipital views; and G, right lateral mirrored. B, D, F and H, outline drawings corresponding to each view. af, antorbital fenestra; bo, basioccipital; bs, basisphenoid; ch, choanae; exo, exoccipital; f, frontal; fEu, median Eustachian foramen; fo, foramen; fv, foramen vagi; j, jugal; l, lacrimal; m, maxilla; n, nasal; p, parietal, pap, paroccipital process; pf, prefrontal; pl, palatine; po, postorbital; pop, postoccipital process; pt, pterygoid; q, quadrate; qj, quadratojugal; soc, supraoccipital; sq, squamosal. Scale bars equal 5 cm.Nearly complete mandible of Elosuchus E 43 in: A, ventral view. B, outline drawings corresponding to each view. d, dentary; d1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 18, 23, alveolus for dentary tooth 1, 2, 3, 4, 10, 11, 18, 23; dd1, diastema for dentary tooth 1. The two arrows point to the reception pits for the second premaxillary teeth. Scale bar = 5 cm.

• I found this Informative 6

That's what I was thinking as well. I guess both are sort of similar but you'd say when in doubt don't advertise as spino right? ;)

It doesn't fit any known spino jaw.

I agree that this looks like croc. Likely a lower jaw. I'm not sure it fits the Elosuchus image @msantix posted though. Elosuchus has very large tooth sockets all over the jaw. Some of the sockets seem kinda small on this jaw.

I think this more resembles an Hamadasuchus jaw due to the size of the tooth sockets.

• I found this Informative 3

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Agree with everyone and would also lean toward this being more typical of a Hamadasuchus jaw with the posterior teeth having an oval shape and size. 

Screenshot_20200305-092534_Drive.thumb.jpg.95071d2c51269e2266da650c2afadb6f.jpg

• I found this Informative 5

Yeah another one for croc. Which makes it cooler than spinosaurus, to me :D

"Faith is to believe what you do not see; the reward of this faith is to see what you believe" - Saint Augustine

"Those who can not see past their own nose deserve our pity more than anything else."