Cephalopod or just chert concretion? #2

Lauren16

This is one of several features I uncovered in a limestone/dolostone loose rock in a river.  Only the "gingko leaf" end of the worm-like feature was exposed: the "worm" was enclosed in soft chalky dolostone that I removed with vinegar baths and much rubbing - so the "worm" had not been subject to weathering.  From the Pivabiska River, 20 km north of Hearst, Northern Ontario, Canada, presumably carried south by glaciers from limestone bedrock farther north.  I've been told it is a chert concretion, but could it be a chert-ified fossil?  Q: If it's not a fossil and just concretion, how did the parallel grooves form? (The other features have parallel grooves too).

Pivabiska_limestone_chert_gingkoworm (2)use.JPG

Pivabiska_limestone_chert_gingkoworm (5)use.JPG

Pivabiska_limestone_chert_gingkoworm (6)use.JPG

Like your other posts, I think these are just some eroded limestone features. 

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/