Quick fossil jaw id

joshuajbelanger

Hey everyone!  Sorry I’ve been absent from the forums lately.  Been doing the geology gig and found a new fossil spot near home.  

white river formation-what’s the jaw?  Any ideas?  I’m not used to these western fossils!

287868A6-B4A3-4F75-B451-64C75B231D3D.jpeg

AE1137A0-F665-491C-A542-59E830215A53.jpeg

45726354-AD67-483D-BE4B-9E7074FBF57F.jpeg

EF3A0E64-12F2-475E-BB90-475A4B25AF1A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Just now, caldigger said:

Given the size, probably Oreodont.

That’s what I was thinking!

34 minutes ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Sorry I’ve been absent from the forums lately.  Been doing the geology gig.

You mean they're actually making you work when you could be having fun frolicking through the formations?!  That's just cruel!

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

37 minutes ago, joshuajbelanger said:

I’m not used to these western fossils!

Not like Peace River fossils--for one thing they are white instead of black! :P

Hope you are enjoying your whole new fossil frontier.

Cheers.

-Ken

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

You mean they're actually making you work when you could be having fun frolicking through the formations?!  That's just cruel!

I know right!?!?  But, if I’m being honest, I actually stumbled upon this spot through work and luck.  Found a tortoise today as well.

1 minute ago, digit said:

Not like Peace River fossils--for one thing they are white instead of black! :P

Hope you are enjoying your whole new fossil frontier.

Cheers.

-Ken

It is the oddest thing...from one extreme to the other.  These are a bit more fragile as well!

On 3/7/2020 at 9:27 PM, Ruger9a said:

Here are some Oreodont teeth photos to help you in your comparison. 

Oreodont with bone in mouth (2).jpg DSCN2284 (3).JPG DSCN2295 (3).JPG

Thanks, I have a small oreodont skull in my collection, but the teeth are kind of squished and not representative.  

im super stoked to have found this guy...everything matches up, shape and color.  

I pleased you enjoyed my photos and Congrats on your finds.  I tend to go through "phases" of collecting and one of them was obviously Oreodonts.  This species was one of my favorite and most interesting phases.  I collected Oreodonts specimens for a 7-8 years and would still enjoy it today if the species hadn't become so controlled by dealers.  I would purchase the unprepped clumps of partially exposed bone, skulls and/or teeth and then "unwrap" my find - kind of like unwrapping a Christmas gift:-)  One of the biggest problems with collecting Oreodonts is finding a sample with complete teeth, this is very rare if not impossible.  Finding a sample with nice teeth is always a problem as well but they are out there.  I used to travel a lot for long periods of time, so, on my off days I would go to every estate sale, yard sale, antique store and flea market in the area to search.  This is where I found some of my best semi and completely unprepped examples.  I'm retired now so my purchases (if any) are mostly on line these days.  I have noticed the clumps tend to be smaller, more picked over and of very low quality - yet the prices are extremely high (to me anyway).  So I stopped adding to one of my favorite series, for now anyway.  Good luck on your future quests.  Below you will find some additional teeth photos of my other examples.

DSCN0318.jpg

Oreodont teetha.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

I pleased you enjoyed my photos and Congrats on your finds.  I tend to go through "phases" of collecting and one of them was obviously Oreodonts.  This species was one of my favorite and most interesting phases.  I collected Oreodonts specimens for a 7-8 years and would still enjoy it today if the species hadn't become so controlled by dealers.  I would purchase the unprepped clumps of partially exposed bone, skulls and/or teeth and then "unwrap" my find - kind of like unwrapping a Christmas gift:-)  One of the biggest problems with collecting Oreodonts is finding a sample with complete teeth, this is very rare if not impossible.  Finding a sample with nice teeth is always a problem as well but they are out there.  I used to travel a lot for long periods of time, so, on my off days I would go to every estate sale, yard sale, antique store and flea market in the area to search.  This is where I found some of my best semi and completely unprepped examples.  I'm retired now so my purchases (if any) are mostly on line these days.  I have noticed the clumps tend to be smaller, more picked over and of very low quality - yet the prices are extremely high (to me anyway).  So I stopped adding to one of my favorite series, for now anyway.  Good luck on your future quests.  Below you will find some additional teeth photos of my other examples.

DSCN0318.jpg Oreodont teetha.jpg

I actually found a new fossil hunting spot quite by accident.  Did a little research, and discovered it was white river formation.  I’ve only gone twice, once on a scouting trip and once with a few work colleagues.  My goal was to find a tortoise and an oreodont-I’ve been hunting in Florida for 10 years, so all this is new to me.

The trips combined were only about 6 hours in total-so far I’ve found a bison(not white river but still cool), a turtle, a tortoise, an oreodont, and several mostly intact unidentified animals that will need more time to remove.  

Considering I've barely scratched the surface of this new site and there is absolutely no evidence of anyone else visiting it-I’m extremely happy!

maybe I’ll find a famous oreodont bed eh?

Sounds great, that many finds in such a short time.  A complete turtle? And more intact animals, fantastic.  Whatever you do, make sure you are not on private property, unless you have the owner's permission.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck and be sure to post your finds.

38 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Sounds great, that many finds in such a short time.  A complete turtle? And more intact animals, fantastic.  Whatever you do, make sure you are not on private property, unless you have the owner's permission.  Just a suggestion.  Good luck and be sure to post your finds.

This ain’t my first rodeo!

13 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

Nice find @joshuajbelanger!! Looks like you are getting the feel of the land.  

Mike

Yes sir!  I’m actually super stoked about this spot I found.  Maybe if you come visit, I’ll take you out there.

I have had the opportunity to  hunt for a variety of fossil types  but never dipped my toes into the White River rock!!! Watch out what you suggest!!! I may be out there soon. Corona virus has the world "petrified". As a result, I look for bargain basement airfares to follow in the near future. In fact, airline stocks have plummeted 50% already. Maybe I can talk @jcbshark to come out too. He needs to get out of the heat. 

Mike

9 hours ago, minnbuckeye said:

I have had the opportunity to  hunt for a variety of fossil types  but never dipped my toes into the White River rock!!! Watch out what you suggest!!! I may be out there soon. Corona virus has the world "petrified". As a result, I look for bargain basement airfares to follow in the near future. In fact, airline stocks have plummeted 50% already. Maybe I can talk @jcbshark to come out too. He needs to get out of the heat. 

Mike

Sorry Mike, I already have my vacation time accounted for this year:D

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

@jcbshark and @minnbuckeye, you guys are 100% welcome at my house any day!  And I mean that.  I would love to show you guys this spot, you would kill it.  I have a spare bedroom, so you guys would have to sleep head to toe :)

Seriously though, lets try and organize something.

10 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

@jcbshark and @minnbuckeye, you guys are 100% welcome at my house any day!  And I mean that.  I would love to show you guys this spot, you would kill it.  I have a spare bedroom, so you guys would have to sleep head to toe :)

Would love to get out there sometime Joshua, thanks for the invite :D

Every once in a great while it's not just a big rock down there!

10 hours ago, joshuajbelanger said:

Out of curiosity, I checked on airline tickets to Denver. 59 Dollars round trip!!!!!!!!!!! 

22 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Out of curiosity, I checked on airline tickets to Denver. 59 Dollars round trip!!!!!!!!!!! 

Lol, that’s what a pandemic will get you.  We have to plan it like a river trip, only not for water being high, but for snow being on the ground.