Fossiliferous or conglomerate with fossils?

Ramona

When I first looked at this rock I thought it was a bit of concrete, but once I cleaned it up and looked at it with my macro lens I discovered a very different world.  I am used to seeing fossiliferous limestone, but the fact that this rock has some completely smooth sides baffles me.  Is it just another example of the wonders of limestone?  See next post for the size.  Found in Huntsville, Alabama. 

Thanks!

Ramona

IMG_2110-1low.jpg

IMG_2115-2low.jpg

IMG_2116-3low.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

oooohhhh that raw end is amazing! All the little things!   It does look partially quarried. They use fossiliferous limestone here in Texs for buildings often. 

Interesting!  I wonder if that is indeed the case with this one, too!  Thanks!

Very pretty rock full or ramose and fenestellid bryozoans and crinoid columnals. 

Limestone can split pretty smoothly along bedding planes sometimes and also vertically due to fracture or even chemical erosion as in karst landscapes and limestone pavements.

1024px-Orton_Scar_Limestone_Pavement.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Nice rock, indeed! Thanks for sharing!

7 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

pebbles

Pebbles (clasts of other rocks) would be nice! I am not sure if I can see any?

6 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

limestone pavements

Now that´s impressive! Did you decipher the hidden message ;)? I am sure its the question to the answer "42" :D.

Franz Bernhard

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Pebbles (clasts of other rocks) would be nice! I am not sure if I can see any?

I thought I did, but maybe I'm wrong.

IMG_2116-3low.thumb.jpg.469360822eb9de89cf15354092911768.thumb.jpg.74bf1d9f38031dd25261f760014022a2.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

46 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I thought I did, but maybe I'm wrong.

Thank you!

Hard to say! There are also some glassy looking cross-sections of components in the same pic. Only personal examination could help, I think.

Franz Bernhard

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Chock-a-block full of crinoids, bryozoa and pebbles.

I thought I was seeing some pebbles there, but wasn't certain!

14 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Very pretty rock full or ramose and fenestellid bryozoans and crinoid columnals. 

Limestone can split pretty smoothly along bedding planes sometimes and also vertically due to fracture or even chemical erosion as in karst landscapes and limestone pavements.

Interesting!  When you say ramose, are you referring to ramose coral? 

Thanks!
Ramona

4 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Thank you!

Hard to say! There are also some glassy looking cross-sections of components in the same pic. Only personal examination could help, I think.

Franz Bernhard

Yes, that is what I was wondering.  There are some very glassy type components that I am not use to seeing.  Would a closer image just of those elements help?

Thanks!

Ramona

3 hours ago, michele 1937 said:
I see pieces of Crinoid

Yes!  I find lots of crinoid pieces around here!  And crinoid impression fossils, too!

Thanks!
Ramona

1 hour ago, Ramona said:

Interesting!  When you say ramose, are you referring to ramose coral? 

Thanks!
Ramona

No. Ramose bryozoans. It means branching. As opposed to the net-like fenestellids that are also in your specimen. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

9 minutes ago, Ramona said:

There are some very glassy type components that I am not use to seeing.  Would a closer image just of those elements help?

I don´t think so.

But you can try to scratch one of those glassy things with a knife blade. And for comparison also a crinoid piece. What happens?
Franz Bernhard

9 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

I don´t think so.

But you can try to scratch one of those glassy things with a knife blade. And for comparison also a crinoid piece. What happens?
Franz Bernhard

If I am actually scratching the correct things (hard to see without my macro lens, LOL) it appears that the glassy things are not scratched but the crinoid pieces are.  Does that make sense?  

9 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

No. Ramose bryozoans. It means branching. As opposed to the net-like fenestellids that are also in your specimen. 

Cool!  A new thing to look for!  I am pretty good at recognizing the fenestellids, so now I can practice with the ramose bryozoans!  Thanks!

• I found this Informative 2

6 hours ago, Ramona said:

Does that make sense?

Yes!

The glassy things would be small quartz pebbles than; Mohs hardness of about 7, harder than a knife blade.

The crinoid bits are single crystals of calcite; Mohs hardness of about 3, this is much softer than a knife blade.

@Ludwigia, you are correct with your suggestion of bebbles!

Franz Bernhard

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/10/2020 at 12:35 AM, FranzBernhard said:

Yes!

The glassy things would be small quartz pebbles than; Mohs hardness of about 7, harder than a knife blade.

The crinoid bits are single crystals of calcite; Mohs hardness of about 3, this is much softer than a knife blade.

@Ludwigia, you are correct with your suggestion of bebbles!

Franz Bernhard

Sorry I missed replying to this!  Thanks so much for the help!   I am going around scratching my rocks, now. ;-)

Ramona