Jump to content
Daleksec

Trevor's White River Prep

Recommended Posts

Daleksec

Turtle collected by My Friend Zolt. At the white River Badlands at the M&M Ranch Nebraska. This Turtle is missing the Front part and was associated with a Flattend Oreodont Skull. About a foot apart.

 

IMG_20181031_152051290.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

IMG_20181031_152041950.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rand95

Fantastic job.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

A little bit of cleaning.

IMG_20181103_165538216.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

Restorations

IMG_20181130_105825628_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

Zolts Second Oreodont skull found higher up in a higher layer. Brule Formation.

IMG_20190515_195535129_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

Some PVB added and a little bit of Prep.

IMG_20190515_201900269_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

Exposing those teeth

IMG_20190516_185305870.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

IMG_20190516_185339347_HDR.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Daleksec

Bottom almost finished.

IMG_20190516_195511972.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Excellent work. 

The oreodont is magnificent, but I rather like the turtle too. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randyw

Great job!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
The Amateur Paleontologist

Amazing prepwork

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger
8 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Excellent work. 

The oreodont is magnificent, but I rather like the turtle too. :)

Fatherly bias!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruger9a
23 hours ago, Daleksec said:

Finish job

929.jpeg

Daleksec, I have a turtle similar to yours.  I did not remove any matrix from the front exposed portion as you did.  Did you see bone material or did you just remove matrix until you found the bones?  I have been wanting to see if there are any but didn't want to take the chance - until now.  What do you think?

DSCN8772.JPG

DSCN8780.JPG

Turtle top front 1 (2).JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruger9a
9 hours ago, Daleksec said:

Finished

1806.jpeg

Very nice job!  Especially the details on the teeth.  Great find.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

Well done on both preps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
jpc
14 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Daleksec, I have a turtle similar to yours.  I did not remove any matrix from the front exposed portion as you did.  Did you see bone material or did you just remove matrix until you found the bones?  I have been wanting to see if there are any but didn't want to take the chance - until now.  What do you think?

I have seen and worked on enough medium sized White River tortoises that I would be willing to bet there are at least some bones in yours that you could expose without hollowing it out.  But if you take it to your local hospital I bet you can talk the CT folks into looking inside with their million dollar machine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ruger9a

 

30 minutes ago, jpc said:

I have seen and worked on enough medium sized White River tortoises that I would be willing to bet there are at least some bones in yours that you could expose without hollowing it out.  But if you take it to your local hospital I bet you can talk the CT folks into looking inside with their million dollar machine.  

Thanks JPC.  That kind of cooperation would be nice, but our local (non-profit) hospital charges $500.00 just to walk in the door and tell them what's wrong with you.  They won't hesitate to send you a bill for $0.38 (speaking from experience) even if it costs them $75.00 in personnel administration fees to process it...  And, you can't go anywhere in that hospital without first going through the receptionist and guards (no joke) at the front door.  When I didn't find any bones in the rear leg sockets I wasn't sure if I should try the front section.  I may have to just keep wondering.....or just take the chance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ParkerPaleo
11 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

 

Thanks JPC.  That kind of cooperation would be nice, but our local (non-profit) hospital charges $500.00 just to walk in the door and tell them what's wrong with you.  They won't hesitate to send you a bill for $0.38 (speaking from experience) even if it costs them $75.00 in personnel administration fees to process it...  And, you can't go anywhere in that hospital without first going through the receptionist and guards (no joke) at the front door.  When I didn't find any bones in the rear leg sockets I wasn't sure if I should try the front section.  I may have to just keep wondering.....or just take the chance. 

I found my neighborhood dentist to be much more accommodating that the hospitals.  It probably helps that our kids are friends, we go to the same church and my family is all his patient, but many dentists have CT scanners as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
caldigger

I agree. All the hospitals I have ever had dealings with would be more than glad to take the scan. But will also send you a very hefty bill afterward too. :o

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ptychodus04

Just smack it with a hammer and look for yourself. :P JK, don't do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×