Kane

2020 Ontario Trilobite Hunting

Tidgy's Dad

Very nice. :)

I particularly like the last pygidium. Pseudodechenella? 

I look forward to your forthcoming reports and wish you good hunting for the season ahead. 

Fossildude19

Not bad for a slowly diminishing hunting spot, though. :)

Thanks for showing these to us, Kane. 

So unlike anything we find in our usual haunts in NY. 

connorp

Here's to a productive year. Already looks like you're off to a decent start. :popcorn:

Tidgy's Dad
1 hour ago, Kane said:

Adam, are you referring to the last posted one or the one oddball in the foursome above? (that oddball is a Mystrocephala). I do encounter the Pseudos fairly often, and they are somewhat small! The Crassiproetus, on the other hand, are very egg-like in their convexity (far more robust than their flattened cousins at Arkona's Hungry Hollow Member!). I did bring home a Pseudo, but that was the only one I didn't photograph! :DOH:

The last posted one. 

Thanks for the info, I like to ask questions and when I'm wrong, I learn something new. 

And your point about the extra time now you're a brilliant non-smoker is a good one. I used to do the same; stop and have a cigarette when i found something special. So, if I get to go hunting this year, extra fossil  collecting time! :i_am_so_happy:

FossilNerd

Nice start to the season Kane! :) 

I too have researched a few new prospective hunting spots. It’s very exciting to explore a new area (or two... or three... or...)! Fingers crosses that your new sites are productive. :fingerscrossed:

digit
3 hours ago, Kane said:

I think one notable difference in terms of field time would be the changeover from smoker to non-smoker. It would be customary that I would reward myself with a smoke break after every trilobite found. Now, I take no breaks. Couple that with heavier winter training, I plan to move a lot more rock this year. 

:thumbsu:

Now, there's no stopping the Human Backhoe. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

Kane
1 hour ago, digit said:

:thumbsu:

Now, there's no stopping the Human Backhoe. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

It helps that I have this fetching new fossil-hunting gauntlet, too. :P 

47E1D853-9218-4031-8B1B-7BBC828C301B.jpeg

Fossildude19

Um, ... Kane, ... not being nosey, or anything, but, ... have you had your skin looked at by a doctor? 
You're looking a little "smurphy", there pal. Are you getting enough oxygen?  I thought you quit smoking... :unsure:   :P 

Kane
14 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Um, ... Kane, ... not being nosey, or anything, but, ... have you had your skin looked at by a doctor? 
You're looking a little "smurphy", there pal. Are you getting enough oxygen?  I thought you quit smoking... :unsure:   :P 

Gnap!! :heartylaugh:

F63A6A4C-EBCE-46E0-841B-3685DC6EDE90.jpeg

Al Tahan

Nice start to the season Kane!! I was able to get out and do some collecting as well. The weather was great!!

Shamalama

I'm happy that you are still making finds at that site Kane, but abandoning those poor Bryozoan and Brachiopod specimens? I weep for them. ;)

Kane
7 hours ago, Shamalama said:

I'm happy that you are still making finds at that site Kane, but abandoning those poor Bryozoan and Brachiopod specimens? I weep for them. ;)

I've been leaving them out in piles just for you, but you never come by! :P :D 

jort68

Really digging these finds, thanks for sharing!!! Are you using only chisels and an air gun to prep? Looks like you know what you're doing. 

Nimravis

Great finds Kane- nice that you got out.

Kane
6 hours ago, jort68 said:

Really digging these finds, thanks for sharing!!! Are you using only chisels and an air gun to prep? Looks like you know what you're doing. 

This material doesn't require all that much by way of preparation compared to other formations I dip into. In most cases, it is a "what you see is what you get" situation, although some stuff needs some scribe work to remove covering matrix. But stuff from elsewhere? Definitely goes in my lab!

5 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Great finds Kane- nice that you got out.

Thanks, Ralph. Here's hoping the season will be generous for all of us. :) 

dinosaur man
On 3/10/2020 at 9:57 AM, Kane said:

But the real goal is trilobites. The Amhertsburg/Lucas Fms at this location have yielded up to me, in order of frequency, Crassiproetus crassimarginatus, Pseudodechenella sp., Acanthopyge contusa, Mystrocephala stummi, Echinolichas cf. eriopis, Trypaulites erinus. 

With the exception of one in these quadriptychs, all are lichid fragments. Why collect fragments? Lichids are generally rare even as fragments, and I continue trying to be thorough at this spot. 

Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.51.35 AM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-10 at 9.51.47 AM.png

Hope you find some!!, and have an amazing collecting year :yay-smiley-1:.

This year, I’m also trying to look for Trilobites in my area, haven’t found any yet, but I feel like this is the lucky year for that!!