Potch Picker

Hi everybody!  These two are my second and third fossil collected in the wild, I'm 94% sure they are both coprolite......what kind?  That's where my assuredness plummets.  Both were found on the south side of the Isle of Wight on the beach at Brook Bay.  I was there in late November of last year and did nighttime search using a UV flashlight.  There were some brutal gale force winds, so I was only able to muster enough manliness for 20 minutes on the beach, I made a few discoveries, but these two are choice.  I located the lighter coloured one because of uneven fluorescence and located a surface bone fragment, and the dark one because of it's deep purpl-ish glow and unique shape.  The lighter one I believe is a crocodylian coprolite, the other I'm sure is coprolite but have no idea if it's from a mammal, dino or something else.  Any shared wisdom would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks :-D

rsz_20200310_170319.jpg

20200310_161256.jpg

20200310_161233.jpg

20200310_161336.jpg

20200310_170027.jpg

20200310_170002.jpg

20200310_165629.jpg

20200310_165600.jpg

The difference between a rock and a wet rock is water. I don't see anything conclusively diagnostic in form or features for me to say either is a coprolite. However, I am no expert on fossils from that region, so the chances of me being wrong are pretty good.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Hello Potch picker!

I pretty much agree with Mark Kmiecik. I'm no expert at fossils (so don't quote me on this) but I have a pretty strong suspicion fossil 2 might just be rolled flint.

The top one does look a bit like a coprolite but it also might just be a piece of pyrite. Again I'm no expert so they may well be coprolites after all.

Good Day and Happy Hunting!

35 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The difference between a rock and a wet rock is water. I don't see anything conclusively diagnostic in form or features for me to say either is a coprolite. However, I am no expert on fossils from that region, so the chances of me being wrong are pretty good.

Some say a wet rock has the illusion of being polished, some say it helps to define features and bring out colour, others see no difference at all and say it's water.  Thanks for the heads up Mark, I'd be all wet without your wisdom.  I thought the shape, insect bore hole,  bone fragments and/or teeth in the lighter one are at least tentatively  diagnostic, But I'm no expert either so we'll wait and see...... ;-D 

The top one looks like eroded limestone with inclusions which may be organic but we'd need close ups. 

The second one also looks like limestone with inorganic calcite (or possibly quartz) inclusions. 

I don't think that's an insect boring either, i'm afraid, more likely just where something has eroded out or a more recent creature has burrowed into the rock.  

I have extensive experience of collecting on the Isle of Wight and have never seen coprolites like these. 

• I found this Informative 2

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

It looks nice, but I'm in the geological camp for this. :)

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

23 hours ago, Potch Picker said:

......what kind? 

Heck, looks like you guys don't need me anymore! You all know your poop. :default_clap2: I agree - not coprolites. One thing to remember, when it comes to coprolites, identifying  the "kind" is generally limited to herbivore, piscivore, carnivore, invertebrate or fish (in the case of spiral/scroll coprolites). What was eaten is more important than identifying the poopetrator. It gives us insight into the environment. :)

• I found this Informative 1

its a lump of pyrite from an offshore exposure of the london clay, very common when beds are visible, and some flint