Serrated Tooth Barb Tusk Unknown Species, Photo

Birdi

Hi. This is my first post. I've spent a lot of time trying to learn what these two objects are and what sort of creatures they came from. They were on a funky necklace I bought at a thrift store. I've looked at sharks teeth, stingray barbs, and sawfish rostrum, but none look like these. I don't know how old they are. They seem very much like ivory. The longest is a bit under 3 inches. Thanks for your help.

serratedTeeth.jpg

Guest Smilodon

Hi and welcome,

When I was just a fossil pup, I found one of these and was so excited - I thought it might be a jaw or something like that. I was crushed to learn that it was a pectoral fin spine of a recent (not fossil) catfish. Yours look very similar.

post-2027-12590209432073_thumb.jpg

Keep hunting!

Edited by Smilodon

i have found a number of these before. some have been blackened and looked "old", and some were obviously recent. but none really appeared to be heavily mineralized "fossils". they are bone, not ivory. and i've not heard them described as other than "catfish" spines.

Guest Smilodon

i have found a number of these before. some have been blackened and looked "old", and some were obviously recent. but none really appeared to be heavily mineralized "fossils". they are bone, not ivory. and i've not heard them described as other than "catfish" spines.

PECTORAL FIN catfish spines (for someone who is so picky.)

Thanks! I didn't think it an old fossil, but thought maybe a 'living fossil' type critter, and so it seems to be. Do you know if the catfish has two such spines? The ones I have are obviously from one side of the fish... does it have one on the other side? Anyway, thanks for giving me something else to search. I'm glad it isn't a sea mammal or something endangered.

Welcome from Galveston Island

Your barb is the top fin of probably from a gaff top catfish. I find them all the time but no fossilized ones

post-1315-12590379057077_thumb.jpg

Galveston Island 32 miles long 2 miles wide 134 bars 23 liquor stores any questions?

Evolution is Chimp Change.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain!

"I like to listen. I have learned a great deal from listening carefully. Most people never listen." Ernest Hemingway

Catfish spine I have found them at the Cape Fear river in N.C. and a few have found my hands while fishing lol

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts." Albert Einstein

Catfish spine I have found them at the Cape Fear river in N.C. and a few have found my hands while fishing lol

So, you would know! ouch

They look fierce, like double steak knives. Lordy, why would anyone want to wear such a thing around his neck?

I saw a PBS show about folks wrestling large (some HUGE) catfish from their nest holes along the banks of rivers. How do they do that without being stabbed? I forget the word... catfish wrestling, but another term.

I believe they call it "noodling" around here. Ive never tried it myself, but I have met people claiming to be accomplished "noodlers". After seeing those things, I think Ill leave it to the experts! :)

Welcome to the forum!

CBK