Mazon Creek Best Of The Best Glaphurochiton Concinnus Richardson, 1956

RCFossils

Chitons are the most primitive of all living mollusks. They belong to a class called Polyplacophora (bearer of many plates). There lineage extends as far back as the late Cambrian.

There are over 430 described species in the fossil record. Almost all  are only  known from individual body plates or valves.

The Mazon Creek deposit is one of the only  sites in the world where complete examples have been collected.

Modern chitons have changed little from Glaphurochiton concinnus.

The basic chiton body plan consists of 8 valves made of Aragonite. The front plate is named the cephalic plate and the rear plate the anal.

The plates have fine ornamentation which is a key feature in differentiating species.

Modern chitons can roll into a ball when threatened.

The muscular body is known as the girdle. This girdle is covered with tiny spicules that are sometimes preserved on Mazon specimens.

Most modern chitons use this girdle to attach themselves to rocks.

To feed, the animal has a radula that can have over a hundred rows of denticles. Each row consists of 17 each.

Most modern chitons attach to rocks and feed on algae.

Glaphurochiton was a mud dweller feeding on detritus.

Like all chitons, Glaphurochiton is strictly marine and is only found in the Essex portion of the deposit.

Glaphurochiton is rare but 2 concentrations of chitons have been found. The areas have been termed “chiton hills”.

It has been noted that modern chitons have a homing ability to return to there same resting spots despite lacking eyes.

This first example is the largest chiton that I am aware of that has ever been found in the Mazon Creek deposit. Not including the skirt, the animal measures 70 millimeters.

The typical size is usually between 30-40 millimeters.

79B132A3-89B8-4D52-A61F-D686AB39B8C9.jpeg

70439B46-5EB8-41FA-ADC9-5D62A2ABA9F7.jpeg

09EA8A4E-124C-493B-AEB9-F6D84E9588F8.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

This next specimen is the smallest example that I am aware of.

It measures approximately 12 millimeters.

11EFA1CC-8615-42E5-A6FD-2249EE46F157.jpeg

AEAFA95F-B2BA-4E95-A442-1D26974B97E6.jpeg

6EEB2E13-D37B-424E-8576-A2CA6012A683.jpeg

941C2417-9434-4E3A-99E8-AAFB1A5ECAD4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 13

Wonderful fossils of a member of an amazing group of animals. :)

A few modern day chitons are carniverous and use their anterior girdle to form a sort of cave which unwary invertebrates such as shrimps wander into to use as a shelter. 

Then, "Gobble!" they slam down the girdle onto the rock trapping the victim within to be devoured. 

• I found this Informative 5

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wonderful fossils of a member of an amazing group of animals. :)

A few modern day chitons are carniverous and use their anterior girdle to form a sort of cave which unwary invertebrates such as shrimps wander into to use as a shelter. 

Then, "Gobble!" they slam down the girdle onto the rock trapping the victim within to be devoured. 

That’s quite interesting.

I had no idea.

• I found this Informative 1

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, @RCFossils!

I think I was in the area of Pit 11 that has been labeled in the past as a chiton hotspot. I suppose that may be what you are referring to as "chiton hill". Unfortunately I had very little luck in that area this year. I found few concretions and they were mostly very small. In freeze-thaw they have been mostly crumbling away. I soaked them for close to 2 weeks before starting freeze-thaw, so I'm guessing I just did not find good concretions. I'll have to do some more exploring in that area, though, for future trips. Finding one of these would be fantastic.

2 hours ago, bigred97 said:

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing, @RCFossils!

I think I was in the area of Pit 11 that has been labeled in the past as a chiton hotspot. I suppose that may be what you are referring to as "chiton hill". Unfortunately I had very little luck in that area this year. I found few concretions and they were mostly very small. In freeze-thaw they have been mostly crumbling away. I soaked them for close to 2 weeks before starting freeze-thaw, so I'm guessing I just did not find good concretions. I'll have to do some more exploring in that area, though, for future trips. Finding one of these would be fantastic.

To my understanding, the “chiton hills” were leveled many years ago and unfortunately no longer collectible.

They do occasionally pop up in the South unit but they are few and far between.

• I found this Informative 1

Here is a recent chiton in my collection

A-IleCres-1.thumb.jpg.389010a0dfe5e57415f24bc7f252bed7.jpg

You can see the 8 plates and girdle.

Coco

• I found this Informative 3

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

And other ones

AcanthochitonaCrinita.thumb.jpg.53d3838b391ae9bb43d65407bfdd2676.jpg

AcanthopleuraGemmata.thumb.jpg.2cdd0a3b9bd650ca50afa7b290fd8e05.jpg

AcanthopleuraSpinosa.thumb.jpg.0184b56877ea8bd8eba778e6c78c4360.jpg

Coco

• I found this Informative 5

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg