Jump to content

Big trilobite from Gore


Recommended Posts

Minerva8918

Found this big guy in Gore. The head was exposed so I kept chipping away hoping there was more to him, and sure enough!

 

It took about an hour to chip away the surrounding matrix, and at the end I thought I'd have to break him to extract him fully, but I pulled and he popped out! 

 

Is he deformed or just big? The head looks kind of smushed. 

 

Apparently my pics are super large so I'll try to add a couple more in the comments.

20200323_160141.jpg

  • I found this Informative 5
Link to post
Share on other sites

Cool looking bug! The large photos show nice detail. You can easily add more images if you are at the limit by just replying to the topic with new photos.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Minerva8918
5 minutes ago, digit said:

Cool looking bug! The large photos show nice detail. You can easily add more images if you are at the limit by just replying to the topic with new photos.

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Thanks! I tried that but the pics were too large for that too so I just uploaded them to imgur. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Congrats on the healthy sized phacopid. :fistbump:

If I'm not mistaken, Gore, Virginia contains middle Devonian material (somewhat equivalent to the Mahantango Fm), which may place this rather robust bug in the Eldredgeops camp. 

  • I found this Informative 7
Link to post
Share on other sites
Minerva8918
2 minutes ago, Kane said:

Congrats on the healthy sized phacopid. :fistbump:

If I'm not mistaken, Gore, Virginia contains middle Devonian material (somewhat equivalent to the Mahantango Fm), which may place this rather robust bug in the Eldredgeops camp. 

Thank you! I am not at all good with IDs but Jasper Burns' book only mentioned Phacops Rana (am I misunderstanding that Rana and Eldredgeops are basically the same?). 

 

I had no idea they got this big!

 

All of my other specimens from this location and Wardensville are much, much smaller.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Minerva8918 said:

Thanks! I tried that but the pics were too large for that too so I just uploaded them to imgur. 

The problem with posting links to images on other sites is that too frequently those links break and the images then disappear from the topics here which leaves ugly holes for those viewing in the future. Your other option if you have a smart phone--and who doesn't these days (besides me :P)--is to email a photo to yourself. You should have the option of reducing the size when doing that. You can then post these smaller resolution images here on the forum and they'll not risk disappearing in the future. I can easily replace the links above to they will be secure. ;)

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Minerva8918 said:

 

pbwVWGO.jpg

Nice find.  It looks fairly complete so far.  Even though it is deformed (flattened cephalon) I can still see the eyes which is good.  With a little more prep you may be able to see both of them.

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like an enrolled Eldredgeops, fairly complete. Sizes for this genus can vary, but a number of Forum members have found ones over two inches long. I have one that missing its cephalon that's just shy of 2 inches. Congratulations. 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, digit said:

The problem with posting links to images on other sites is that too frequently those links break and the images then disappear from the topics here which leaves ugly holes for those viewing in the future. Your other option if you have a smart phone--and who doesn't these days (besides me :P)--is to email a photo to yourself. You should have the option of reducing the size when doing that. You can then post these smaller resolution images here on the forum and they'll not risk disappearing in the future. I can easily replace the links above to they will be secure. ;)

 

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

There's some apps for smartphone that have the option to resize the photos. I use Lit Photo, a neat and simple app!

  • I found this Informative 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Most Phacops from North America were reassigned to Eldredgeops

If you choose to do some preparation work to reveal a bit more of it, I would stabilize the cracks with cyanoacrylate first. 

  • I found this Informative 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
Tidgy's Dad

Very nice trilobite.

Great find. :)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow! I’m impressed. Looks all there. Had no idea Virginia has formations with phacopids. Nice work :thumbsu:

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...