Found a tooth - help ID please!

arugula_bandit

• New Members

I found this tooth a long time ago, on a river bank in north Alabama, and have just held onto it. I'm not even positive that it's fossilized, but it seems like it is to my untrained eye. It is still pretty sharp on the front and back edges. I really don't know anything else about it, but it doesn't look similar to any shark teeth that i know of, or alligator. Any help would be appreciated!

IMG_5132.jpg  IMG_5133.jpg  IMG_5130.jpg

IMG_5128.jpg  IMG_5129.jpg  IMG_5127.jpg

IMG_5125.jpg  IMG_5126.jpg  IMG_5122.jpg

IMG_5123.jpg  IMG_5121.jpg IMG_5119.jpg

IMG_5120.jpg   IMG_5117.jpg  IMG_5118.jpg

IMG_5115.jpg  IMG_5113.jpg IMG_5114.jpg

IMG_5112.jpg  IMG_5111.jpg

I would research Parotodus benedeni (False Mako). Thats what it looks like to me.

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

What you have is the crown, less the root of a shark.    I believe you are in Cretaceous deposits so one possibility is Cretoxyrhina

Ummm this looks like an Isurus planus crown to me with Bakersfield colors? Looks like a tooth that doesn't belong in the slightest :P  I'm willing to bet money that this is a crown from a Bakersfield planus. 

Is it from Alabama? I agree that it looks just like a planus tooth from bakersfield.

Hello Arugula Bandit and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.

I'm just curious, are you the one who's been stealing my funny leafed lettuce from my garden?  :zzzzscratchchin:  If so, please help yourself, it tastes a little funny to me.  Just leave a fossil behind.  :P

BTW, very nice tooth.

• New Members

after looking up the Planus, that does seem to be really similar. Thanks everyone!

7 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

Is it from Alabama? I agree that it looks just like a planus tooth from bakersfield.

I did find it in Alabama, just north of Decatur, almost to Tennessee. It was loose on the bank - I wasn't fossil hunting or anything, just walking around. No idea how it could have ended up there. 

5 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Hello Arugula Bandit and a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.

I'm just curious, are you the one who's been stealing my funny leafed lettuce from my garden?  :zzzzscratchchin:  If so, please help yourself, it tastes a little funny to me.  Just leave a fossil behind.  :P

BTW, very nice tooth.

I've never traded fossils for salad greens before, but we do live in interesting times. Thanks!

• I found this Informative 1

1 minute ago, arugula_bandit said:

never traded fossils for salad greens before

Perhaps not.  But given your avatar, I suspect you've been involved in some activity including "salad greens".  I'm just trying to make an honest man of you.  ^_^

1 hour ago, arugula_bandit said:

I've never traded fossils for salad greens before, but we do live in interesting times.

I've traded fossils for a burger, fries and a coke. It won't work at McD's, but the owner of the local bar & grill near where I collected would make the trade if you found one he wanted. They also had a liverwurst and onion on rye toast sandwich on the menu. This was back when pop ran the bar and mom ran the grill, up to the late 90's.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

I've traded fossils for a burger, fries and a coke. It won't work at McD's, but the owner of the local bar & grill near where I collected would make the trade if you found one he wanted. They also had a liverwurst and onion on rye toast sandwich on the menu. This was back when pop ran the bar and mom ran the grill, up to the late 90's.

Those were the good old days.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

15 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

They also had a liverwurst and onion on rye toast sandwich on the menu. 

Please excuse me whilst I hurle.  :sick:

The tooth definately looks to be a Bakersfield planus.

20200404_051555.jpg

Thousands of visitors from all over have collected there, perhaps it was in someone's pack and fell out while hunting in 'bama.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

On 4/3/2020 at 2:17 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

I've traded fossils for a burger, fries and a coke. It won't work at McD's, but the owner of the local bar & grill near where I collected would make the trade if you found one he wanted. 

A friend of mine had to resort to trading a pocket knife he had on him for a couple gallons of gas when he was stranded with an empty tank and an empty wallet out on a desert trip once.

He and his buddy had pushed the car a good two miles to the station. The station attendant probably felt sorry for him.

Dorensigbadges.JPG