Jerry W.

Hey folks,

Here is a bone I found today.  The photo shows it in situ  as it was slowly sliding down a slight grade.  The area where it was found does not permit collection by citizens so it remains where it was found.

The area where it was found is along the ancient shoreline of the Western Interior Seaway on the west bank where the shoreline ebbed and flowed to engulf the immediate area, only to later be dry land at essentially the same level of strata.  In the same immediate area where this was found, also today, I located fossilized stromatalite (a water bacteria), and fossilized wood.  Within just a dozen miles of the area where I found the bone there have been collections of bone specimens ranging from mosasaurs to plateosaurid-type dinosaurs.

Hopefully someone has an idea about this bone to enlighten someone who really doesn't know anything about it, namely, me.

Location where it was found is in the San Juan Basin of San Juan County, New Mexico, Kirtland Formation, Upper Cretaceous period.

bone 1.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

The bone has weathered a bit too much to try to determine what it is.   Kirtland Fm has a pretty diverse fauna including Dinosaurs and Croc.

• I found this Informative 2