A Novice Asks: Is This a Fossil?

PeteZa

Hello everyone! My name is Patrick, I am new to these forums, and have next to no knowledge about fossils. I just found an interesting item today on my farm in Wayne County, Ohio, and was wondering if you could please help me. If it is not a fossil, please forgive me, I would like to learn more about the subject, and figured this would be a good way to start. Anyways, I was walking the bed of my creek, and I noticed what I thought to be a large bee hive stuck in the clay embankment. Upon further inspection, I noticed that it was solidified and made of rock, and the “combs” were more cylindrical than hexagonal or octagonal. I wondered if this is a fossil, and whether or not it might be coral? Any help would be greatly appreciated! I did my best to follow the photo guidelines, and the bottom of my tape measurer is in cm, for those of you whom may be outside of the U.S. 

19223AC3-8D1D-46F7-A425-ED8714F60913.jpeg

992E68AD-9827-4695-A007-418FC8E7CD99.jpeg

A51628AD-BA45-437E-A9DF-C78F4ABB3C34.jpeg

I do believe you have found a fossil coral.

It has been a very long time since the oceans have occupied the area now known as Ohio, so you are pretty much guaranteed it is indeed fossil.

Looks to be a good sized piece.

I'm sure there will be others replying that can give you a better indication of what type it is.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Yes, a tabulate coral colony, probably a Favositid. 

Nice find. :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png