Beginner needing help with fossil ID

Kaylak

• I found this Informative 1

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Internal mold of a strophomenid pedicle valve, i think. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Kaylak, I'd trust @Tidgy's Dad for the ID of anything brachiopod related, so I can't add to that.  What I want to know is "what is a nice girl like you doing wandering around in the streams of MO?"  :D

On a more serious note, I've been away from the keyboard from time to time these past few weeks and think that I missed your intro.  You look like a fresh new face to me. 

Sooo . . .,

in case I haven't already done so, let me extend to you a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx. 

I see that you have jumped right in and offered the forum photos of a number of your finds looking for help in ID'ing them.  That  is GREAT!  That's how we all learn together.  Keep it up and, again, Welcome.

• I found this Informative 2

I agree with @Tidgy's Dad. Its a nice brachiopod steinkern, meaning the original critter's shell dissolved away and contents inside it (minerals/ sediment) solidified, replacing the shell as a cast. If that makes any sense. The stone looks similar to an exposure in my area of Missouri that has the same type of rock/ preservation. There's a decent chance in the area you found this that there are more fossils. You should try splitting some of the rock, the best examples hide inside waiting!

• I found this Informative 2

10 hours ago, grandpa said:

Kaylak, I'd trust @Tidgy's Dad for the ID of anything brachiopod related, so I can't add to that.  What I want to know is "what is a nice girl like you doing wandering around in the streams of MO?"  :D

On a more serious note, I've been away from the keyboard from time to time these past few weeks and think that I missed your intro.  You look like a fresh new face to me. 

Sooo . . .,

in case I haven't already done so, let me extend to you a warm welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx. 

I see that you have jumped right in and offered the forum photos of a number of your finds looking for help in ID'ing them.  That  is GREAT!  That's how we all learn together.  Keep it up and, again, Welcome.

Thanks, grandpa! I've taken on the hobby of searching for fossils, geodes, bones, etc. around MO in recent years. I am excited to have found the forum and appreciate the help from everyone already. This is an awesome site, and I look forward to possibly (hopefully) helping someone myself one day! 

• I found this Informative 1