Unknown Fossil...silurian Seed Pod? Cooksonia Plant?

pleecan

Are there any fossil plant experts out there? Opinions? Found this fossil a few years ago. Bertie Formation , Silurian rock, Fort Erie ON Canada. In the same layers as Euryptrids / Cooksonia. Area was thought of as a salty lagoon during Silurian period. I thought it might be a seed or pod with a infant plant maybe Cooksonia emerging from the pod. If you look carefully you can see a faint vascular channel... mid axial, longitudinal. Fossil is about 1" long, bulbous width about 1/4". or maybe it is an Eurypterid part? Rock matrix is extreme fine grained limestone. PL

post-2446-12593756081325_thumb.jpg

post-2446-1259375730947_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12593759473842_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12593761355462_thumb.jpg

post-2446-12593762462622_thumb.jpg

Are there any fossil plant experts out there? Opinions? Found this fossil a few years ago. Bertie Formation , Silurian rock, Fort Erie ON Canada. In the same layers as Euryptrids / Cooksonia. Area was thought of as a salty lagoon during Silurian period. I thought it might be a seed or pod with a infant plant maybe Cooksonia emerging from the pod. If you look carefully you can see a faint vascular channel... mid axial, longitudinal. Fossil is about 1" long, bulbous width about 1/4". or maybe it is an Eurypterid part? Rock matrix is extreme fine grained limestone. PL

That looks like a Cooksonia sp.

cheers,

-PzF

Pleecan, cool fossil example. Nice seeing some of the very early plants!

PZF, Curiosity question for you. How do you tell in this specimen if this is Cooksonia versus one of the other early Silurian plants like Steganotheca?

I've read that the shape of the spore sacs distinguishes the different species in Cooksonia and that Steganotheca had a few more branches but they were both without leaves... I don't know anything about this age of plants and am interested.

One of the websites I found on Cooksonia shows a number of different species and their spore sac shapes.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~steurh/engcook/ecooks.html

Regards, Chris

Pleecan, cool fossil example. Nice seeing some of the very early plants!

PZF, Curiosity question for you. How do you tell in this specimen if this is Cooksonia versus one of the other early Silurian plants like Steganotheca?

I've read that the shape of the spore sacs distinguishes the different species in Cooksonia and that Steganotheca had a few more branches but they were both without leaves... I don't know anything about this age of plants and am interested.

One of the websites I found on Cooksonia shows a number of different species and their spore sac shapes.

http://www.xs4all.nl/~steurh/engcook/ecooks.html

Regards, Chris

Hi Chris:

In this particular quarry... I have found Cooksonia similar to Cooksonia paranensis sporangia morphoogy. Speculation is that the plant seed pod may be Cooksonia paranensis. see attached pic Cooksonia that I have collected from the Bertie formation. PL

post-2446-12594915577634_thumb.jpg

Cool early plants!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Those are really cool pics pleecan. Did you do that through a microscope?

With rocks in my head, and fossils in my heart....

Those are really cool pics pleecan. Did you do that through a microscope?

Yes. Nikon 4500/ 990/ 995 digital camera can't remember which one as I still have all 3 models....as image was taken a few yrs ago, coupled via a relay lens to variable zoom stereo microscope on a boom stand with/without 0.5x barlow attachments, remote shutter control. PL

Pleecan,

Earlier this year I was at Al Lang's quarry with a group from Harvard and these were referred to as "sperm", I recall someone thinking it was plant but I attached what I was able to get my hand on.

T

post-2448-12595409176289_thumb.jpg

Pleecan,

Earlier this year I was at Al Lang's quarry with a group from Harvard and these were referred to as "sperm", I recall someone thinking it was plant but I attached what I was able to get my hand on.

T

Hi Plac:

Interesting article ... do you have a reference?

My fossil came out of the Williamsville /Bertie formation, Ridgemount Quarries just similar to the published picture. Water lime when it cleaves can cleave asymetrically so the exterior of the fossil is revealed or it can cleave right down the middle to show the internals.... maybe if the "sperm" creature was embeded in plastic and polished... the internals may be revealed ... maybe you will see a plant vascular structure... just speculating...

on another note ... have a look at Hungry Hollow Trips posting and see if you think the fossil is fish armor.

PL

Hi Plac:

Interesting article ... do you have a reference?

My fossil came out of the Williamsville /Bertie formation, Ridgemount Quarries just similar to the published picture. Water lime when it cleaves can cleave asymetrically so the exterior of the fossil is revealed or it can cleave right down the middle to show the internals.... maybe if the "sperm" creature was embeded in plastic and polished... the internals may be revealed ... maybe you will see a plant vascular structure... just speculating...

on another note ... have a look at Hungry Hollow Trips posting and see if you think the fossil is fish armor.

PL

Sorry, this came out of "Fossil Ecosystems of North America":

http://www.press.uchicago.edu/presssite/metadata.epl?mode=synopsis&bookkey=5568076

I replied to your e-mail on the fish armor with my thoughts...

T