Lance Form Find

Seanrad09

Going through finds that haven’t been ID-ed yet from a trip to the Lance Formation. The find looks scute like, but I’m not an expert. It appears this maybe ID-able by its features. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

1463520A-1DCF-48F9-AD5D-F4A5C046D09C.jpeg

119EC243-7395-4417-8D2B-6051D16882BD.jpeg

9563B5F1-FAFF-4EC3-A997-7C81888EC2FF.jpeg

6CB899B9-FB94-4A4F-98A7-EB0A92E62A42.jpeg

29BF832E-A94F-48D6-984D-94FA3F554DD5.jpeg

F8ADB393-8BC6-4F1B-8AC9-029AB721399D.jpeg

Edited by Seanrad09
  • I found this Informative 1

I don't know of any Lance turtles with spikes like that, but then I can;t think of any other bone it could be.  Chunkosaur?  

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

Turtle possibly not a scute.  It's Lance Fm not Lance Creek Fm.

The lack of veins definitely suggest it’s not a scute, like you pointed out. That’s why I was thrown off by this. But, I’ve also never seen a shell piece look like this due to that point sticking out. It’s far beyond anything I’ve seen.

Also, I saw you post about a new beta field guide for Hell Creek by Carthage Institute around 2016/17. Did it ever launch? I’d love to get one.

PS- thanks for pointing out my airhead post haha. I was all jumbled this morning and combined Hell Creek and The Lance together Haha.

Edited by Seanrad09

11 minutes ago, Seanrad09 said:

Also, I saw you post about a new beta field guide for Hell Creek by Carthage Institute around 2016/17. Did it ever launch? I’d love to get one.

PS- thanks for pointing out my airhead post haha. I was all jumbled this morning and combined Hell Creek and The Lance together Haha.

No air head post on this topic.. Lance Creek was/is a common term used by many and it still is today.

The book apparently has never been published or if it has have never seen it for sale.   It initially got lots of Twitter press by the author but have not seen anything since then.  

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, GeschWhat said:

Are there any tortoises in the Lance?

There are 26 different kinds of turtles from the Lance/ Hell Creek.  None are land tortoises. 

(This statistic is from Tyler Lyson's latest turtle description in the current issue of Journal of Vert Paleo)

• I found this Informative 3

Curious, as I have one of my finds, that has what seems to the unqualified eye as, being the same structure within and I was told it was geological. What makes this not geological? 

19 minutes ago, Planko said:

Curious, as I have one of my finds, that has what seems to the unqualified eye as, being the same structure within and I was told it was geological. What makes this not geological? 

6 hours ago, Seanrad09 said:

9563B5F1-FAFF-4EC3-A997-7C81888EC2FF.jpeg

First is the spongy, cancellous bone tissue which is shown in cross section above, this indicates that it's a fossil bone in the first place. Second is where he found it which is an area that has exposures of a well known geologic formation (the Lance fm. in Wyoming) which is known to produce vertebrate fossils, notably dinosaurs.

• I found this Informative 3

3 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

First is the spongy, cancellous bone tissue which is shown in cross section above, this indicates that it's a fossil bone in the first place. Second is where he found it which is an area that has exposures of a well known geologic formation (the Lance fm. in Wyoming) which is known to produce vertebrate fossils, notably dinosaurs.

Yup on both counts.  I was not convinced it was a fossil until I saw that one photo with the boney cross-section.  Yup, it is bone.

23 hours ago, jpc said:

Yup on both counts.  I was not convinced it was a fossil until I saw that one photo with the boney cross-section.  Yup, it is bone.

When I picked it up two years ago in the Lance, I almost pitched it due to strange bone surface, but someone told me to hang on to it because of the reason you stated about the cross section. I just have zero idea what would have that type of bone surface. The cross section makes sense for turtle shell, but it’s incredibly thick.