Rarity of fossils

Dino1

Hey guys, being the amateur fossil enthusiast that I am I have a question, why are fossils from the weaker dinosaurs more common than those at the top of the food chain? Triceratops bones are so common and cheap yet a chunk of T. rex bone can cost a whole lot more. Why?

Sustainabiltiy in predator-prey ratios.

If you had an enclosed ecosystem with 10 cats for each mouse, what would invariably happen? 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Hi there. I'm also new to collecting fossils but if I had to guess its probably based on location (how available are those specimens), overall popularity (how well are they known to people) and, during those time (the age of dinosaurs) it could be based on population but again it correlates to location geographical of where you're at.

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

If you had an enclosed ecosystem with 10 cats for each mouse, what would invariably happen? 

Well said, i completely agree.

1 hour ago, Kane said:

The mice would have to learn Karate? 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

30 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

The mice would have to learn Karate? 

Oh please, Kung Fu is the obvious choice! ;)

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Here is a good book on the topic- Why Big Fierce Animals Are Rare, by Paul Colinvaux.  Ecology 101.  In the fossil world, you also have to deal with Economics 101, people want more T rex fossils and there are less, therefore the price is high. 

You brought up a second "question"...

>>"...triceratops bones are so common and cheap yet a chunk of T. rex bone can cost a whole lot more..."<<

Cost as in making a purchase--is most likely related to marketing and all the dinosaur movies seem to promote the T.rex as the star. People want the star, not the supporting cast. The star is always "worth" more.

regards

The T-rex name is a marketing Gold mine it has nothing to do with rarity its teeth are found everywhere..   Why sellers like to slap that name on everything regardless of what it really is.  For example sellers of Carcharodontosaurus teeth call it the African T rex.  On the other side most collectors want T-rex material over anything else and are willing to pay crazy prices for it...its market driven ..

13 hours ago, Dino1 said:

Triceratops bones are so common and cheap yet a chunk of T. rex bone can cost a whole lot more. Why?

It’s mostly because T. rex is the most famous dinosaur, its a part of pop culture everywhere which means fossils from thins animal is a collectors piece, which means lots of people would want a piece of T.rex resorting in high prices.