Sarador

I have no idea what this is I found it on the ocean in Canada on Vancouver island. I looked all over the internet to figure it out but I have no idea. 

BAB54B43-0638-4AA6-9B66-DF1520D6ED7C.jpeg

F99DC600-8C03-4C89-875B-F1B2A48152C2.jpeg

654E68E8-FE85-48B7-B196-33648B42B29D.jpeg

69959ECD-25A5-4CB7-AAC4-FD83829238E2.jpeg

Interesting piece--I can see what motivated you to pick it up. ;)

I believe that piece is geological (rather than biological) in origin. We have some members @Wrangellian in your general area and perhaps they've experience in seeing odd looking concretions like this before and may have some additional information.

Welcome to the forum! Lots of good information here for curious people. :)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 2

Oh, I see you're here on V.I.   As I said in the PM, concretion was my best guess too, but it is certainly odd. It has a stromatolitic appearance but I think that is just by chance, as stromatolites aren't known from where, while we do have an abundance of concretions in the Nanaimo Group rocks. Which part of the ocean did it come from - inner coast, outer coast? ...

I’m near the tip of v.I in port hardy. Closer to inner coast 

Edited by Sarador

Here is a basic -not very detailed- geological map of the Island. The ages aren't shown in the key but it is arranged with the oldest at the bottom, youngest at the top - Karmutzen is Triassic, Bonanza is Lower Jurassic (ie. Early Jurassic), Nanaimo is Upper (Late) Cretaceous. The first two actually contain some sedimentary as well as volcanic rock; the Nanaimo is all sedimentary. Looks like any loose rocks you find in your area could be from one of those three. In any case it looks sedimentary, it's just not clear to me what that feature is!

vigeoll.gif