Hadrosaur Predation fossil

Dracarys

Here is a hadrosaur ungal that appears to have been chomped on postmortem by a big carnivore, like Rex. Found in Hellcreek SD. What do you all think?

F4E1C7DE-042C-4E95-8BE4-7823EF87468D.jpeg

A2FAC97A-93CC-4126-B21D-C54F80AD176A.jpeg

6DF6D36A-EA11-4E18-9CEB-382852A66CBD.jpeg

F3DBE84B-0D16-440D-8438-3AFC3545F9D3.jpeg

F9B8070A-2292-4D3E-80F2-1AE6BC68B29C.jpeg

28C4E9CE-6C31-4375-9704-4917096AEFEB.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Interesting, I like to see predation bones candidates   No wrong answer here just guesses and I think this may be real.   The initial puncture came in from the proximal end by a Croc based on the circular hole and depression.   The bite could have damaged the front end.  What I cannot figure out is that lip by your thumb in the first photo. 

17 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Interesting, I like to see predation bones candidates   No wrong answer here just guesses and I think this may be real.   The initial puncture came in from the proximal end by a Croc based on the circular hole and depression.   The bite could have damaged the front end.  What I cannot figure out is that lip by your thumb in the first photo. 

Always great to hear your thoughts Frank. I assumed the lip on my thumb to be the arms/wings (whatever they’re called) of the ungal. I’ll provide more pics 

As far as I know, Borealosuchus and Thoracosaurus were the largest crocs in the Hell Creek Formation, and neither seem big enough or have the fang teeth to leave such a robust and deep hole in this

How hollow is the inside of the claw? Is it only on the supposed bite hole or is the entire thing hollow?

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

3 minutes ago, -Andy- said:

As far as I know, Borealosuchus and Thoracosaurus were the largest crocs in the Hell Creek Formation, and neither seem big enough or have the fang teeth to leave such a robust and deep hole in this

How hollow is the inside of the claw? Is it only on the supposed bite hole or is the entire thing hollow?

Good thoughts Andy. The ungal is hollow. I suppose that after the bite, it exposed the marrow and allowed for it to decay before it was fossilized. Why does that matter I ask?

21 minutes ago, Dracarys said:

Good thoughts Andy. The ungal is hollow. I suppose that after the bite, it exposed the marrow and allowed for it to decay before it was fossilized. Why does that matter I ask?

The scarce few predation fossils I have didn't have the bone being hollow from the bite. Just my observation. Someone with more predation fossils could tell us if the bone being hollow is a typical occurrence

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

I've seen some nice size teeth HC croc's enough to penetrate well into the back and his other teeth destroy the front wings.  And like you said once the inside is exposed natural decay would easily hollow out the inside.    Scavenging a foot would typical for a hungry croc after a theropod cleaned out all of the good stuff :D

1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I've seen some nice size teeth HC croc's enough to penetrate well into the back and his other teeth destroy the front wings.  And like you said once the inside is exposed natural decay would easily hollow out the inside.    Scavenging a foot would typical for a hungry croc after a theropod cleaned out all of the good stuff :D

As most crocs bite and then swallow everything whole, the ungal may have passed through the GI tract which could explain the hollowing out of the marrow and poor quality of the bone. Maybe? @-Andy-

It’s most likely a Thoracosaurus bite mark as they are the largest Crocodilian in the Hell Creek Formation.  It could of been killed in a flood or a carnivore and then scavenged by Crocodiles.