Please help identify

rcurry26

Hi I found this rock in desert around pinion hills or lake l.a. area. Looks like has teeth  jaw.  I first noticed what looked like a nasal cavity.. 

20200414_083755.jpg

20200414_083744.jpg

20200414_083710.jpg

Welcome to the forum!   I have to agree, looks like a neat looking rock.  Its possible there are small fossil fragments in there, but it is not a skull.

Yes it does have skull symmetry  it did have what appeared to be crystal type teeth sharp looking all the way around it where the defined split is. It appears to have a jaw. And a nose cavity though it's slightly misshapen it looks almost like a snake then again a small shark, I thought perhaps a turtle. It definitely had teeth. Not sure..lol. it freaked my brother out he's scared of it lol

Please believe us. This is just a rock, nothing more, nothing less. There is absolutely no sign of fossilized substances of any kind, no matter which way you turn it. It just has shapes that remind you of things, like the clouds in the sky do.

• I found this Informative 4

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Turtle skull

turtle.jpg.6e7125a92a305d94c3abbf95c5816333.jpg

Snake skull

snake.jpg.01e4b995756e4356974cc03fbd4c408e.jpg

Shark skull

shark.jpg.920266b5a8d7b66b6cd6218938c71725.jpg

And there is MAJOR variation among many of the species of each turtle, snake and shark. For instance, the shark photo is of a shortfin mako; a hammerhead shark skull is radically different. Same with turtles. Same with snakes. I see no similarities to any of these in your photos. In addition, your photos verify the absolute lack of any bilateral symmetry that is common to an animal skull.

• I found this Informative 3

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Ok these are more pics of the rock I posted already and was confirmed by this forum that it indeed does look like one.  I'm focusing more on the mouth, jaw, and facial structure. The nasal cavity. In Hope's of possibly identifying what type of animal this actually is. Thanks for your help.

1587020512083138413165995806705.jpg

15870206633829011681266733032977.jpg

Sorry but I’m not seeing a skull :).

Edit: I looked through your original post and I think all the others agree that it’s not a skull.

• I found this Informative 1

Same. In the original post everyone agreed that it was a ROCK and NOT a skull.

Everyone  said it superficially resembled one (if you squinted and the room was dark) but it was NOT  one. Sorry but there is no jaw, bones or nasal passages. Once you find a real one you’ll easily be able to tell the difference

• I found this Informative 5

23 minutes ago, Randyw said:

Same. In the original post everyone agreed that it was a ROCK and NOT a skull.

Everyone  said it superficially resembled one (if you squinted and the room was dark) but it was NOT  one. Sorry but there is no jaw, bones or nasal passages. Once you find a real one you’ll easily be able to tell the difference

Exact.

Nothing here indicates a skull.

Looks geologic in origin.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Topics merged. Please restrict fossil ID requests to a single topic per item. 

Member consensus and experience overwhelmingly suggest that your find is in no way a fossil skull for all of the reasons already outlined above. 

• I found this Informative 5

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer