Show us a great fossil someone gave you because they didn't care about what they had

hrguy54

This idea comes from a recent post.

Show us a great fossil given to you because the person didn't really care about fossils.

Please don't ruin your reputation by telling about how you scammed some poor kindergartener or elderly out of a great fossil.  lol

A guy at work said this piece of petrified wood had been left in his garage by the previous owner.....15 years ago. And that's where it stayed.

He didn't care about it but also didn't feel right throwing it out but didn't know anyone to give it to. Until he found out last year that I was a collector. 

Since I live in Ohio I don't come across this sort of thing in my collecting.

It weighs about 12 lbs.

007.JPG.42cde788d8ec75a0075a9880ebd3befe.JPG

• I found this Informative 7

I have been given some amazing fossil in my time but I don’t think it was because they did not care about them. More like because it is a nice feeling to give a gift , that you know somebody will love. I will  have a look though my collection.

• I found this Informative 1

I have a friend that wasn’t really into fossils but had picked up a few at the times he was on Charmouth beach. He didn’t exactly give them to me but did sell them to me for a very reasonable price. I’ll try and get pictures but it was a nice, pretty complete pyrite androgynoceras and liparoceras, neither of which I had in my collection yet (well complete ones).

• I found this Informative 3

Went on a school field trip to The Forest of Dean to collect in the Middle Silurian Wenlock Limestone. 

i found lots of nice things, but a friend of mine found a wonderful complete trilobite, not the more common ones, Calymene or Dalmanites, but an unusual one I didn't recognize. On the coach going back he said to me that he didn't care for fossils, they were old stones and boring. 

So, I suggested he gave it to someone he knew who would love and appreciate it. 

So he gave it to a girl he fancied. 

She was quite happy.

I was not. 

• I found this Informative 15

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

So he gave it to a girl he fancied. 

She was quite happy.

I was not. 

:heartylaugh:

• I found this Informative 1

I have something related, I didn’t get to keep it but it’s something:D, a few years ago one of my friends that knew nothing about fossils had a rock with tiny bones in it she found in South Carolina on a trip about a couple weeks before.  She showed it to me and gave it to me for a week to see what it was.  I did some prep on it with one of my other friends who also didn’t really know a lot about fossils but just wanted to help after about a week of doing prep on it we found out it was an amazingly preserved fossilized frog.  And she still has it.

• I found this Informative 2

Here are some Mazon Creek ferns that I received from a friend. An old collector gave them to her mom a couple years ago. She doesn't collect fossils so she gave them to me. 

20200420_142710.thumb.jpg.141520b86230e47b713744bde6ab52fa.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

3 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

I have something related, I didn’t get to keep it but it’s something:D, a few years ago one of my friends that knew nothing about fossils had a rock with tiny bones in it she found in South Carolina on a trip about a couple weeks before.  She showed it to me and gave it to me for a week to see what it was.  I did some prep on it with one of my other friends who also didn’t really know a lot about fossils but just wanted to help after about a week of doing prep on it we found out it was an amazingly preserved fossilized frog.  And she still has it.

wow!   Any chance you can show this one off? See if she will let you... 

• I found this Informative 3

Here is an awesome piece of petrified wood that my brother found on some property he purchased. He makes his living with real estate and purchased the property to fix up to then rent/sell. He found this just laying in the yard next to the house! He has a slight fascination for geology, but not much interest in fossils at all. He knows I collect them so he brought it to me. It has visible growth rings, preserved bark and even what appears to be insect tunneling and damage! 
This isn’t the only fossil that he has randomly found and given to me because he has no interest, but it’s my favorite. I return the favor with geological pieces that I find. Most of my “cool rocks” go to him. :) 

AEDE37A3-04CD-4585-B4E3-C3BC42918D3F.thumb.jpeg.43517a352c468dbd9c8407a2f2ba93e1.jpeg622B6931-E359-4046-B63E-09710D94F98C.thumb.jpeg.9170ca9f8de53b03aa9cbbbdeeeb434a.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

1 hour ago, jpc said:

wow!   Any chance you can show this one off? See if she will let you... 

I’ll ask once this pandemic is over