BudB

I made my first trip to Post Oak Creek today. There had been rain in the forecast for yesterday, so I hoped for some newly washed out fossils, but Sherman got no rain. So, I knew things would be pretty picked over, but I decided to go anyway, and just hike a bit further down the creek than I normally might, to see if I could find a few teeth anyway.

I stayed about three hours. The knee pads I bought yesterday were definitely a good investment. These old fart eyes need to be close to the sand bars to get within reading glass distance of those small teeth. I had also made a sifter, and carried out half a bucket of sand to go through at home. I had fun. That creek is an amazing fossil place.

poc00101.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

You really can't appreciate just how large of an area on the banks, and creek walls in places, that are covered with fossilized shell filled rocks, until you see it. I brought home this one rock to remind myself of what the place looked like, as well as try to explain it to others.

poc00102.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

There are truly fossil fragments everywhere on those sand bars. I was mainly looking for teeth, so I tended to ignore all the other stuff, but I couldn't resist picking up these two small gastropods.

poc00103.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Up until now, I had hardly found any shark teeth, so it was fun picking up teeth today. Is the tooth in that last photo a Ptychodus tooth?

poc00105.jpg

poc00106.jpg

poc00107.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

Nice finds and Congratulations on a good hunt. You are correct about the tooth being a Ptychodus.

• I found this Informative 2

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Not bad for hunting picked over ground. ;) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

12 hours ago, Monica said:

Nice finds!

Is the item circled below a barnacle?

I think it's just a pelycopod, a clam. It caught my eye because, unlike all the other thousands of clam shells around me, it had both halves of the shell, put together like a real live clam. It may just be shell halves from two different clams fossilized together. I don't know. That photo shows opposite sides of both the rock and the pelycopod fossil.

• I found this Informative 1

I sat down on my back porch yesterday afternoon and went through three sifters of sand from the bucket of sand I brought home from Post Oak Creek, and found these six teeth. My wife found four teeth in the sand yesterday morning. And there's still plenty of sand in the bucket. So, the idea of bringing home sand to go through later does work.

I'm about to leave for the North Sulfur River this morning. That will be visits to Post Oak Creek and the North Sulfur River in the same week. This being off work time is fun, I'm thinking.

poc0108.jpg