Help Identifying Geologic Layer/Stone and Fossils Available

RedShift

Hi All, I'm new here and honestly have only a small working knowledge of Geology and fossils but I'm interested in learning.  I live in and interesting area I think, Western New York.  Lockport, NY to be specific and along the upper portion of the Niagara Escarpment, I have to be at least 3/4 of the way up the rise of the escarpment, I can see to Lake Ontario from my property.  

In this area around me, stone wall used to be a big thing and they run through the woods for miles sometimes, build back in the 1800s after the Erie Canal and marked property lines and I assume was also a good way of clearing the rock from the fields.  These rocks around me that are a softer more layered rock are just loaded with fossils but mostly small shells and what looks like some small crinoid type pieces.  I have been studying up and trying to research what rock I predominantly here and I think I've narrowed it down.  I would just like some input on what you believe this predominant rock type is, what these shells would be, age, and what else you think could be found in these rocks if I spent significantly more time breaking open lol.  

I will attach an imagine of approx. where these rocks are (blue dot circled in red) and the corresponding layer that this would be.  If I've narrowed this down accurately, this would be the Lower Silurian (Sik) and possibly be "Irondiquoit Limestone, Rockway Dolostone, Hickory Corners Limestone, Neahga Shale, Kodak Sandstone"  I will then try to add some pictures of this stone/rock type and the shells i found and cleaned some in vinegar. 

really appreciate your input and knowledge on what rock this really is, what the fossils are and age range so I can research what else might be able to be found in these rocks.

Location.jpg

Layers Home.jpg

IMG_4658.jpg

IMG_4667.jpg

IMG_4675.jpg

IMG_4677.jpg

IMG_4713.jpg

IMG_4671.jpg

Very cool! I do know (from a very recent experience) that the DeCew is fairly blank material, but the Rochester shale can include some quite lovely trilobites, bryozoan thickets, and impressive crinoids. The Irondequoit, too, may also present some neat Silurian treasures with some persistence. 

The tricky part though is in determining the origin of these rocks, and how far they may have been transported. Outside of their context of seeing the bedrock layers, navigating which rocks to break next can be an exercise in guesswork. 

The fact that you are encountering fossils would pretty much suggest that you should... keep breaking these rocks open! 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Welcome! I also am starting from the beginning in my understanding of the Niagara Escarpment and my journey has been very rewarding! I live in Owen Sound Ontario and my journey began with finding fossils in my backyard. You can read my posts to get the full story and please leave a comment there. You and I share the same back yard! Lately I have been studying plate tectonics through Academic Earth, free on line lectures. Something I chose to do during this time. I wanted to touch base but will let other more knowledgeable people identify your photos. We live on one of the oldest piece of continent on the planet! Keep studying!

Thanks for the reply Kane.  Engineer by trade and not much knowledge on this stuff but it is very interesting to me.  I just don't know enough about the different types of stone/rock to know what these are.  I've been doing some research though and it seems like these might be a type of Dolostone/dolimite?   tough to tell in pictures but there is also a fair amount of 'sparkle' in these rocks when broke open.  Maybe its part of the Lockport or Dayton Dolostone?  But I think this is deeper/older than the Lockport Dolostone.

IMG_4721.jpg

6 minutes ago, EscarpmentMary said:

Welcome! I also am starting from the beginning in my understanding of the Niagara Escarpment and my journey has been very rewarding! I live in Owen Sound Ontario and my journey began with finding fossils in my backyard. You can read my posts to get the full story and please leave a comment there. You and I share the same back yard! Lately I have been studying plate tectonics through Academic Earth, free on line lectures. Something I chose to do during this time. I wanted to touch base but will let other more knowledgeable people identify your photos. We live on one of the oldest piece of continent on the planet! Keep studying!

Very cool Mary, I'll check out your posts.  Amazing how far the Niagara Escarpment really goes and interesting being along an area that is so old and exposes so many different layers.

Also check out Gilboa Fossil Forest, very close to you, virtually for now.  I have never been there but find it very interesting!

1 hour ago, RedShift said:

Hi All, I'm new here and honestly have only a small working knowledge of Geology and fossils but I'm interested in learning.

This a big part of what you need to fit in around here. A “can do” attitude and interest in learning. We come from all walks of life with varying skill sets. Some are actual working paleontologist. The rest of us just want to be like them when we grow up! ;) 

Unfortunately I can’t help you much with your questions. I’m not familiar enough with your area. I’m sure others (besides those that already chimed in with great advice) will be along to throw some ideas your way. However, I can say, hello and welcome to the forum!

• I found this Informative 1

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Here are few geological resources I have on Ontario, also a few interesting maps.

67F460CA-97E6-46E3-810A-150FFC722D88.jpeg.72cde12db31551ca24bfc44c980344dc.jpegEAE62DC5-3C39-4B9D-B82B-BB1778B56172.jpeg.ed37ea3ca554cee9c4c0791ba8711b89.jpegCA0ADA71-1E22-4B59-9060-5B6460A91F62.png.7d30c5f3dc07ee9ded66b8d60d7ab188.png9D524E96-2232-4651-8AC5-8A444A680AA9.jpeg.ac65522dfea9323fafd3de9ec6b7f6a4.jpeg088828DF-3B4E-4337-8AF9-6D309DC84C91.jpeg.3051ed0c07dc06163959098e3ae94045.jpeg