Help IDing some fossils

Finnlfc19

Hello everyone, I’m new so I hope I do this right! 
I recently got some new fossils and among them were two interesting pieces.

One was an unidentified bone which when I saw I immediately thought it looked like a Vertabrae. I’m no expert but it has the shape of one with the neural canal clearly there, however I could be wrong. It certainly doesn’t feel like stone so I don’t think it has been fossilised although again, I’m no expert. I don’t expect anyone to be able to work out the exact species from this, but maybe just a better idea on if I’m right about the type of bone and maybe the type of animal it came from, I’d guess some kind of mammal. 

The other fossil was a set of jaws in stone. It looks like a composite. My initial thought was Mosasaur but not 100% sure.

i was not present when these fossils were purchased as they were bought as gifts for me in my absence, so the location of where they were found is unknown to me, which I’m sure will make IDing these difficult, so I apologise. Any help whatsoever is appreciated. Thank you! 

(The ruler used here is 15cm in length)

image.jpg

1 minute ago, Finnlfc19 said:

image.jpg

I recognize this one. It is a composite of Mosasaur teeth from Morocco, just as you suspected. The teeth are likely real, but the "jaw" they are set in is not, nor is the arrangement. 

• I found this Informative 6

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

30 minutes ago, Kane said:

I recognize this one. It is a composite of Mosasaur teeth from Morocco, just as you suspected. The teeth are likely real, but the "jaw" they are set in is not, nor is the arrangement. 

Thanks a lot!

6 hours ago, Kane said:

I’ve heard about Moroccans putting real Mos teeth into arrangements like this and often using a glue/sand mix as fake matrix, but are you saying that in this case the jaw isn’t even bone at all?

• I found this Informative 1

28 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

I’ve heard about Moroccans putting real Mos teeth into arrangements like this and often using a glue/sand mix as fake matrix, but are you saying that in this case the jaw isn’t even bone at all?

Often times the "jaws" are made up of carved modern bone or plaster.

Looking at the way it is chipping away here I would say plaster is a good bet.

20200423_103641.png

• I found this Informative 7

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Very interesting stuff, I have another Mosasaur jaw composite but it is not in stone like the one I got yesterday. Love Mosasaur teeth