klattrocks

I thought you guys would like to see some Eastern US dinosaur material. This comes from the. Phoebus Landing site on the Cape Fear River. The fossils are actually found in a reworked gravel on top of the upper Campanian Black Creek Group and then in turn is overlain by Tertiary unconsolidated sands. The fossils that are usually there are missing their processes because of abrasion during the reworking of the material. During the upper Cretaceous this was a deltaic area where fresh, brackish and marine waters intermingled explaining the mixture of different species. Dinosaur carcasses apparently floated down the river and would be eaten, by the sharks, mosasaur and crocodiles, etc. This is a Hadrasaur Metatarsal bone. This location is one of the few dinosaur collecting locations in the SE. By the way this fossil is about 1 and a half inches across.

0424201401a.jpg

0424201401.jpg

0424201401c.jpg

• I found this Informative 10

Nice piece. I didnt realize there are other east coast locations that have Dino material other then New Jersey.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Great bone! Love those east coast dinosaurs. Probably difficult to assign to a genus, but the giant hadrosaur Hypsibema crassicauda was first discovered in NC's black creek group.

Thanks so much for posting this! I live about an hour from the Phoebus Landing site and have been dying to go check it out. My plan is to put a kayak in at the lock and work my way down to Phoebus Landing and Walkers Bluff. Based on your visit, is that a good approach? I'm assuming the water level in the river needs to be pretty low? 

All the best,

Philip

18 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Nice piece. I didnt realize there are other east coast locations that have Dino material other then New Jersey.

Material has been found all along the east coast and into the Mississippi embayment. Mostly bloat and float scraps. There was a review of such material done back in the 80’s by David Schwimmer out of University of Georgia, Columbus. 

• I found this Informative 1